We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Question

Harrodsburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Booking Question
Save

Hi everyone,

I am needing some help with booking. I have never booked a trip of this magnitude and could use some guidance. I am booking our honeymoon for August 2022. We have decided we are going to a Sandals resort in St. Lucia. I would post this on the St. Lucia travel forum page, but this is just a generic question. I am stuck on where to book everything. Here are all of our options:

1) Book flights + hotel directly with Sandals

2) Book flights + hotel on Expedia

3) Book flights direct with airline & hotel direct with Sandals

1 is the cheapest, but Sandals doesn’t give us the option to have a free cancellation flight. But Sandals does offer “trip insurance.” This only ensures we’d get a refund on flights if it is a “covered reason” i.e. Covid, death, delayed flight resulting in missed connection, etc.

2 and 3 are more expensive but gives us the option for a free cancellation flight.

My question is - if we have trip insurance, do we need a free cancellation flight - and vice versa?

Do you think we should proceed in booking w/ Sandals?

7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
478 reviews
120 helpful votes
1. Re: Booking Question
Save

Choose option #3 for sure. Here's why: If you are forced to cancel, or choose to, you might have a problem getting a refund of your airfare with the airline saying it processed it and Sandals saying they never got it and you remaining unpaid. It's always better to cut out the middleman.

As to whether trip cancellation insurance would cover you, it will depend on the facts and circumstances. Insurance companies are in business to make money and if your claim does not meet all the required parameters, whatever they may be, your claim may be denied.

In these uncertain times we're living in, I feel it's better to pay more for peace of mind rather than being pennywise and pound foolish.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
37,341 posts
24 reviews
89 helpful votes
2. Re: Booking Question
Save

I agree with CultureVulture…

Choose Option 3, for all of the reasons shes given in the first reply.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
19,298 posts
15 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Booking Question
Save

Agree with #1. Keep control of your own bookings, skip middle men. Sure, it may cost a few more $$ - but in the end, there's no middle man to deal with should there be any hiccups. Notifications come to you, etc.

That said - and this is pure curiosity - why Sandals? Of all the amazing resorts in St Lucia I'm curious why Sandals?

All in all have a wonderful time, congrats.

Safe travels

Harrodsburg...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4. Re: Booking Question
Save

Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated. To answer #3, we chose Sandals because we were looking for an all-inclusive & it was in our Budget. Great reviews. We aren’t those people that will stay at the resort the entire time, though. We can’t wait to venture out on the island and see everything.

Thanks again all!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
1,10,881 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
5. Re: Booking Question
Save

I don't know much about Sandals or the Caribbean, but I always book flights directly with the airline and I try to book accommodation directly as well.

So my vote is also for option 3.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
19,298 posts
15 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Booking Question
Save

Tim - faur enough. Just be very sure of what your room category includes as the Luxury suites don't include roim service or booze in room, and you have to do all your reservations, etc yourself. Plus the class system is very apparent with butlers saving seats, taking reservations in multiple restaurants a night even though their guests can only use 1 and so forth.. also, although they advertise stay at one play at all three - you can only do this if fully vaccinated.

The Sandals are good AIs, although their marketing is magnificent! There's other excellent AIs on island, including AO ones, that are much less expensive and offer more (aside from diving). in case it interests you.

Either way, enjoy.

Edited: 03 December 2021, 21:04
Walt Disney World...
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
11,039 posts
156 reviews
143 helpful votes
7. Re: Booking Question
Save

@1: Totally agree CV, and add to book trip insurance separately as well.

Reply to: Booking Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.