We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varanassi to Darjeeling

Brookline...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Varanassi to Darjeeling

First, a general question about overnight trains in India: how are the first class, a/c ones? Are bathrooms cleaned regularly?

Next: has anyone traveled by train between Varanasi to Darjeeling or to New Jalpaiguri? It seems more efficient, otherwise we have to fly from Varanasi to Kolkata, overnight, and then shlep to the airport to fly to Bagdogra.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

I had a quick look at http://www.cleartrip.com/trains, and it seems that there's a train with AC1 only on Sundays. It leaves Mughal Sarai in the morning and arrives in New Jalpaiguri in the evening. If I were you, I'd rather take a night train with AC2.

I don't think that toilets are cleaned regularly on any Indian train. I didn't find them particularly filthy, though.

To get an idea about different classes, visit http://www.seat61.com/India.htm.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 23:44
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

Sorry, it runs on Mondays only.

Brookline...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

This train would only run on Mondays?

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

This is a better site to do your research on train routes, timings & seat availability etc.

http://www.indianrail.gov.in/index.html

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

Yes, the one with AC1. But if you're happy with AC2, you'll have plenty of choice. Some trains leave from Varanasi, others from Mughal Sarai (close to Varanasi). In any case, you'll have to book as early as possible.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

This is the complete list of trains between Varanasi & New Jalpaiguri

15635, 15667, 15934,12236, 12436

I tried to paste the entire details but the site is not allowing me to do it as the result is all in CAPS

You can research each train from the site I gave earlier for the days, timings & the availability

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

www.erail.in is another good site to know about trains between stations.

You can look for trains between Varanasi and New Jalpaiguri. from there a cab for Darjeeling or toy train if it is running.

AC 1 is the best class on indian trains. Many foriegners travel by AC2 Tier Or in AC 3 tier Compartments and ok for them.

You can look at Link below to find some more information.

goneindia.com/GONEINDIAHORSESTRAINS111.html

deepak

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
414 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

The best train to travel to New Jalpaiguri (NJP) from Varanasi is Rajdhani Express, There are several of them running all over India but you ncan take one of the following :-

1) 12436 New Delhi Dibrugarh Rajdhani Exp - Leaves Varanasi at 2225 hrs (on Thursdays and Sundays only) and reaches NJP next morning at 1145 hrs.

2) 12236 New Delhi Dibrugarh Rajdhani Exp - Leaves Varanasi and reaches NJP exactly at the same timings (on Tuesdays only).

3) 12424 New Delhi Dibrugagh Rajdhani Exp - You will get this train from Mughalsarai Station ( 45 mins by road from Varanasi) at 2245 hrs and will reach NJP at 1045 hrs next day (This is the best option as it takes less time and runs daily)

Toilets on Rajdhani are quite clean, the trains are fully airconditioned and they generally run on time. You can travel either 1AC or 2AC.

Alternately , you can take an overnight train to Howrah (Kolkata) and thereafter take a flight to Bagdogra.

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
414 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

The best train to travel to New Jalpaiguri (NJP) from Varanasi is Rajdhani Express, There are several of them running all over India but you ncan take one of the following :-

1) 12436 New Delhi Dibrugarh Rajdhani Exp - Leaves Varanasi at 2225 hrs (on Thursdays and Sundays only) and reaches NJP next morning at 1145 hrs.

2) 12236 New Delhi Dibrugarh Rajdhani Exp - Leaves Varanasi and reaches NJP exactly at the same timings (on Tuesdays only).

3) 12424 New Delhi Dibrugagh Rajdhani Exp - You will get this train from Mughalsarai Station ( 45 mins by road from Varanasi) at 2245 hrs and will reach NJP at 1045 hrs next day (This is the best option as it takes less time and runs daily)

Toilets on Rajdhani are quite clean, the trains are fully airconditioned and they generally run on time. You can travel either 1AC or 2AC.

Alternately , you can take an overnight train to Howrah (Kolkata) and thereafter take a flight to Bagdogra.

Brookline...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Varanassi to Darjeeling

thanks to everyone about the trains. The Rajdhani Express looks like the best.