We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

My boyfriend and I will be spending about 50 days in Germany, UK, France, Amsterdam, and Austria.

I was looking at train tickets at www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/prices/index.shtml and did Berlin to Cologne on May 23rd just to see how much it would cost for 2 people. It turned out to be 230 euros which caught me by surprise. I then did Berlin-Munich and it was only 8 euros!

So I'd like to know if paying 625 euros per person for a global pass is worth it? It'd be for a month and we'll be in London for the last week so we wouldn't be needing it after that month.

What do you guys think?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
79,405 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

A rail pass is very seldom worthwhile. If you scroll down in this forum, you will find many threads all saying this.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

hmm..I have been looking at those. I just want to make sure so we don't miss an opportunity.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

another question, do train prices from city to city within germany change as the date gets closer?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
35,592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

> did Berlin to Cologne on May 23rd just to see how much it would cost for 2 people. It turned out to be 230 euros which caught me by surprise.

Standard fare is EUR 226 for 2. If you buy now you can get this trip however also from EUR 109 for 2.

> I then did Berlin-Munich and it was only 8 euros!

You clicked by accident on "seat reservation only". The cheapest possible special on this route is from EUR 49 for 2 persons.

> do train prices from city to city within germany change as the date gets closer

The specials for long distance trips are limited in numbers. You can buy at earliest 92 days in advance. Latest 3 days in advance. If there is any special left. If the cheapest special is gone the next cheap one goes on sale (e.g. EUR 49 - 69 - 89 - 109 ...) until no specials are left anymore at all. Standard fare tickets are however always available.

Note that these discounted specials are only valid for the connection bought for. While standard fare tickets and a rail pass are flexible (in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands). Compared to standard fare tickets a rail pass may well make sense in these countries. E.g. an Eurail 3-country select pass. In these 3 countries you can with a rail pass really just hop on and hop off.

UK is not covered by Eurail passes at all.

The discounts for the Eurostar Paris - London are only on the standard fare. Buying a discounted special in advance will be less. Reservation is compulsory.

http://www.eurostar.com

The Thalys trains (Paris - Brussels - Cologne/Amsterdam) come with a really heavy surcharge for pass holders. Buying a discounted special in advance will be less. Reservation is compulsory

http://www.thalys.com

To and in France all faster trains require compulsory reservation. Approx. EUR 4-10. Inside France there is additionally a limitation of the number of seats on the trains available to rail pass holders.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

What do you think of German Rail Passes? It's 222 per person for 10 days.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
27,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

If you plan on doing plenty of travelling within that period and you don't have a set itinerary then it is a good price - NB that is the cost of a youth pass.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
27,795 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

... also rail passes are not a good idea in France as there is a quota system for pass holders. Once that quota is filled you can either wait for the next train where there are still spaces left for pass holders, or you can pay the full price which is usually very expensive.

In Austria there is a new service www.westbahn.at which isn't covered by passes, but you can buy tickets on the train at cheap prices - €24 Salzburg to Vienna, for example. If you have an itinerary, you can buy discounted tickets from www.oebb.at, but you are then restricted to the trains that you booked the tickets for.

Some more info here europetrainsguide.com/Advice/Rail-Passes/Rai…

Also read the rail pass section on www.seat61.com

8. Re: Eurail Global Pass- Is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2013, 15:07