We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Topic
How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

I have a Eurail Global Pass an want to reserve Barcelona -> MIlan

I cannot figure out how to reserve it, either via raileurope or http://www.elipsos.com/en/Precios.aspx

Please help :(

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,965 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

Have you seen this page?

http://www.elipsos.com/es/Promocion8.aspx

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

Yes, that doesn't help I think?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

You can book perfectly well on the elipsos website. Simply choose the option (which comes up after choosing your class of travel and entering all other data) of <PASSES, PRM's ACCOMPANYING, FIP>

It is, of course, possible that you have already found this, and didn't believe the results - the pass reservation for tourist class is €75, and I imagine it is significantly higher for other categories. You are paying for sleeping accommodation and a higher quality train - if you want free travel on your pass, you can go by slow daytime trains without reserved seats.

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

From the elipsos site, it brings me to RENFE to finish booking, and that website is only in Spanish so I get lost. Is this normal?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,583 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

Switch to English by clicking on the 'Welcome' on the top line

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

Gracias!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

OK, here's the problem:

WITHOUT a pass, the fare for a bed in a 4-berth Tourist class sleeper on the excellent Elipsos trainhotel is about 72 euros, assuming you pre-book. This discounted rate is almost always available a few weeks ahead, certainly a month or two ahead, booked at either www.renfe.com or www.tgv-europe.com. It's a tad more expensive in high summer and Easter, but bear with me.

WITH a pass, you pay a supplement for a bed in a 4-berth Tourist sleeper, which costs - wait for it - 72 euros!

Now, here's the punch line:

The 72 euro railpass reservation CANNOT be booked online at any of the train company sites, it can only be bougt from an agency. Indeed Rail Europe HAS enabled only reservations for passholders, but as Rail Europe is an agency, there's a fee on top, maybe 10 euros, or the equivalent in dollars, pounds, whatever.

Have the implications of this sunk in? You can either:

(a) Put your expensive railpass in the waste-paper basket, and buy a 72 euro cheap ticket including a sleeper, online at www.renfe.com or www.tgv-europe.com, with zero fees, printing out your own ticket.

Or

(b) Use your pass, contacting an agency and paying 72 euros for the sleeper supplement plus 10 euros fee, total 82 euros.

I know which I'd do!!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

Hear hear. Passes are an inflexible waste of money in most of Europe.

San Jose, California
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

Couldn't get my cards to be accepted yesterday (companies said no attempt was even made)

Trying again right now, and the promo price is gone! This is driving me insane.

At this point I may as well just fly.

Edited: 26 February 2012, 00:45
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How To Reserve Elipsos Train Hotel With Eurail Pass?

www.raileurope-world.com will also book this, far more simply and with no payment problems, with only a small 4 euro fee (see what prices it gives).

The only drawback apart from the 4 euro fee is that it only books two of the several possible sleeper types (as it is constructed on the mistaken assumption that trains only ever have first and second class), so see if it offers what you want.

I think they have mapped 4-berth sleepers to 2nd class and normal 2-bed sleepers with washbasin to first class.