We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

2 posts
Save Topic
Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

I leave to Europe in 3 weeks. The only thing I’ve really booked is my flight and I am still unsure whether or not I should get an Interrail pass or just buy point to point tickets? I have a very rough idea of where I want to go -

Start in Paris

Fly to Porto

Barcelona (maybe stop a night in Madrid????)

Nice

Then want to go to a few places in Italy - Rome/Naples/Venice maybe?

Would like to then go to Croatia

Then travelling north through Austria I think and then Prague, would like to go up to Krakow then to Berlin, Hamburg. Then Amsterdam and also Bruges.

(I’m so unorganised but do love spontaneity). So I’ve got the rough idea of where I’d like to go but I want to be able to book things days/week before I go as opposed to booking everything in advance.

Only thing is I’m probably going to be looking at buses too as I’m not sure if there are sufficient train lines between all these places.

So question is, based on my itinerary, is getting an Interrail pass going to be much cheaper than point to point tickets days in advance?

7 replies to this topic
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

The trains go almost everywhere, use www.bahn.de/en as your all-purpose train timetable.

You've left it too late to get the cheapest point to point prices, as booking typically opens 6, 4 or 3 months ahead and just like air fares ttrain fares start cheap and get more expensive as departure approaches.

That means that a pass may be a good idea, especially if you are under 26 and can get the youth pass.

Just remember all the extra fees for reservations payable on top of the pass cost in Spain, France, Italy. In Italy, it's typically €10 for every fast train. In France, either €10 or €20 for every TGV. International TGVs can cost more. And InterRail doesn't cover Thello Nice-Italy.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

“I leave to Europe in 3 weeks”

So you don’t live in Europe?

In that case you don’t qualify for an Interrail Pass...

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

That's the mother of all trips. How long do you have ?

I'm no expert on rail passes but might be able to give you a few pointers with train travel in Spain / Portugal / Germany Czech etc.

We are on our little trip from the UK to Portugal / Spain / France all by train.

The seat61 website is the mother of all train info sites. Everything you need can be found on Mark Smith's award winning site.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 00:02
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

Porto to Barcelona by train? Will take about 15 hours, there is only one train from Porto into Spain which runs through the night. At this time of year it is often sold out weeks in advance. Reservation is essential, pass or no pass. Check availability at www.renfe.com (look for Coimbra B to Madrid train) and if there is none for your probable dates you will need to consider flying.

The connection Porto to Coimbra B is by a Portuguese train which cannot be reserved. All the details at https:/…lusitania

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

I have British citizenship

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

According to interrail T&C's it's about residency not about nationality: https:/…

Relevant text: Permanent residents or temporary residents of the countries listed in this section can purchase an Interrail Pass.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,120 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?

Yes, it's all about where you are resident. Citizenship is irrelevant.

Reply to: Urgent - should I get an Interrail pass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted