We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

Limburg Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

I am non-EU citizen plan to travel with my 5 years old son who is EU citizen, I can buy EURAIL Pass, although it says he is travel for free with adult ticket holder, but the moment i chosen 1 adult and 1 child, i cannot choose his nationality (EU country is not available for choice).

Could anyone help to advise what is the best option? We plan to travel in Italy and switzerland.

Could I just buy eurail pass for myself and don't buy any ticket for him? As I understood in Switzerland, ticket is not needed for child below 6 years old. Not sure about italy, is he able to travel for free with me who hold the eurailpass ticket .

Thanks/rgds,

Jane

7 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

Don't get an eurail pass. It's an overpriced relic of a distant past.

Book tickets for Italy and the international trains as early as possible on either www.trenitalia.com or www.sbb.ch.

For Switzerland there is no advantage in booking early. Apart from some super saver tickets of some routes. They can be bought a month out through www.sbb.ch

Limburg Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

Thanks for your feedback. The earlier booked ticket cannot be changed and we travel with old people so I am afraid just in case we might niss some trains we prefer eurailpass which allow us flexible option for train schedule. The issue is all of us are non EU and we can buy travel together tickets with 15% discount . But there isnt any option to travel together with EU child under eurailpass.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 17:55
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,251 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

Why not just buy both tickets under your own nationality?

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,407 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

You won't get flexibility in Italy. As you need to reserve long distance trains anyway. And reservations are tied to a train. Miss it and you'll pay again... On top of that pass. With a paid ticket in hand staff will be more lenient and forthcoming to put you on the next train.

In Switzerland it doesn't matter as trains can't be booked or reserved in advance anyway.

So just ditch the pass or don't buy it and buy tickets from the operators site.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
5. Re: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

Eurail passes are usually a very bad idea for Italy. As already stated, they do not give flexibilty, as you must buy a seat reservation (normally €10 per person per train) for every fast train you use. The slow Regional trains do not have reserved seats, but fares on these are so low that they will not amount to the daily cost of a pass.

To learn more, read https:/…Railpasses_for_Italy

Children are free on trains in Italy only up to the date of their fourth birthday, and they are not entitled to a seat on fast trains if travelling free.

Limburg Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

Thanks all for your input, we decided to take the advise and buy swiss saver day pass in advance then buy ticket in Italy. Many thanks guys!

Limburg Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen

Just afraid its a fraud when they check the passport is EU

Reply to: Eurail Pass for EU child to travel with non EU citizen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted