We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast train Granada to Cordoba?

Fitzroy, Australia
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
477 reviews
Fast train Granada to Cordoba?

Hi people

I've seen suggestions on line that there might be a new fast train service which would include the line between Granada and Cordoba. Is this true, and if so when is it scheduled to come into operation?

4 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Fast train Granada to Cordoba?

works had to finish a couple years ago, so who knows when the line will be on service.

it was reported that main works finished last December and since January tests were taking place. I read somewhere about being it on service on October, but nothing official yet.

as next year there are many different elections (local, regional, etc) i guess that the authorities might be pushing for taking a picture on the new train line while on campaign.

meanwhile, if you book the train service it involves take a bus from Granada to Antequera Santa Ana and there transfer to a train going to Cordoba.

as alternative you could take a direct bus to Cordoba. look at ALSA bus company. travel time is more or less the same, it is cheaper and direct.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
58,086 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Fast train Granada to Cordoba?

Manaña as they say in Spain. I read earlier this year that works were substantially complete and that testing had begun, but as the previous poster says it is years behind schedule and there is currently no sign of service being started. The issue was that it's not a completely new line but a total rebuild of what was there before, hence the closure and bus replacement.

Meanwhile local mayors are raging at the government about loss of tourist trade etc.

Just to add to the complications there are further closures this week between Seville, Malaga and Granada to repair flood damaged tracks.

Fitzroy, Australia
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
477 reviews
3. Re: Fast train Granada to Cordoba?

Thanks for the responses. I'm not looking to travel until March/April next year, but it would be good for planning purposes to know how it's progressing. I was researching how one of our party (who hasn't been to the Alhambra) might do a day trip to Grenada. Travel times are a bit too long with the current train and bus schedules.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Fast train Granada to Cordoba?

the new service should cut the travel time to 1h15 and might be working by your travel time (just read that last tests with the trains that will run on that line start next september), but who knows.

Reply to: Fast train Granada to Cordoba?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted