We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

Parksville, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

is there a train from Dover to Southampton that does not go through London? Thanks

21 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

I tend to use the Scot Rail site as i find it is one of the easier to use www.scotrail.co.uk

If you type in via Hastings under More Options it will show a route along the south coast

Its a lot longer than via London but cheaper as the via London route uses the High Speed Line HS1

Suggest you consult www.seat61.com for information on rail travel in UK including how to book tickets from abroad

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

There is but it will involve three changes and is very slow.

Best route is to take the Dover Priory - London Charing Cross train. Alight at Waterloo East and cross over to Waterloo for the fast train to Southampton Central.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,892 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

Dover - Ashford

Ashford - Hastings or Eastbourne

Hastings or Eastbourne - Brighton

Brighton - Southampton

Certainly cheaper and less crowded and some parts more scenic than via London, but probably taking about twice as long.

I would do the trip as per Wirewiper's suggestion as it is the most straightforward and does involve crossing London from one station to another, just a walk of about 100 metres through a covered passageway between the two parts of Waterloo station.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

>>Its a lot longer than via London but cheaper as the via London route uses the High Speed Line HS1<<

HS1 has nothing to do with it. Transferring through central London carries a premium.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,892 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

The premium being the more expensive fare on HS1 and the battle with the Underground between Kings Cross St Pancras and Waterloo. For the few minutes saved, I don't think it's worth the extra cost for an HS1 ticket plus the Underground. I would far rather take that 2 minutes walk at Waterloo.

If I really wasn't in any kind of hurry or exceptionally hard up, I would take the Brighton route.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

Nope, as I already said, HS1 does not come into it. The premium for using a central London transfer. There is no extra charge for using HS1 on a through ticket.

Parksville, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

I don't use "tripadvisor" nearly enough, but I'm glad I did in this instance. Thank you everyone who replied. Your responses were most helpful. Marty

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

Re HS1 you are right but not about crossing London

I can get from Hatton in Warwickshire to Dover for £7.60 With Senior Rail Card,including the underground from Marylebone ( Baker Street) to St Pancras

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

Er yes I am. It costs more to travel through central London and that is a fact. I'm not sure what quoting that irrelevant journey is supposed to prove?

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK

The obvious advice is getting lost here!

1. Direct train from Dover Priory to London Waterloo East. Every hour.

A simple walk with level access and one set of escalators/lifts from Waterloo East to Waterloo mainline station, No taxi, no underground, no crossing London. This is not really 'via London' the way people usually mean it. It's simple. Oh, and I used to be the Station Manager at Charing Cross, responsible for Waterloo East, in the early 1990s!

2. Direct train from Waterloo to Southampton Central, 2 or 3 trains every hour.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 23:16
Reply to: train travel from Dover to Southampton, UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted