We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket purchase @ railway stations

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
134 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Ticket purchase @ railway stations

Hello

I'm planning to go from Østerport station in Copenhagen to Hamburg. From there I plan to go to Berlin and then Dresden and finally to Amsterdam.

Is it absolutely necessary to buy the tickets in advance as am having difficulty in understanding the train system in Europe as well as I don't want to loose the flexibility by buying something in advance.

I checked this Eurail Pass for three countries (Copenhagen, Germany and Netherlands) and the travel days (which I guess calculates the fares)? If I get this pass is it economical and flexible or just going to the station and buying the ticket.

They say the following while booking the trip:

[Quote]

You can use this Eurail Pass on 8 days of your choice during a set period of 2 months. Travel on back-to-back, consecutive days, or spread them out during the months. It's up to you. On each day, ride on as many trains as you like between midnight and midnight.

Make up your trip as you go.

Great for exploring the region in depth.

Travel fast or slow, as you please.

[/Quote]

17 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

The pass may be flexible. Maybe. But certainly not economical.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

In that part of Europe the pass may make sense. Compared to high walk up fares it may be worth it.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

Suggest you consult www.seat61.com for information on rail travel in Europe including how to book tickets

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

You should be able to buy Copenhagen to Hamburg and the other journeys from deutsche bahn and get print off at home tickets. Buying in advance will be significanly cheaper than on the day.

If you put the DB app on your phone you can book journeys there and downlaod tickets (not sure if this works from Copenhagen).

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,237 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

A pass may work financially in Germany and Netherlands. Reservation is not required in Germany and is not available in Netherlands. If there are no seats when you get on the train (unlikely) you stand until someone gets off and a seat becomes available.

Check the standard fares for trips you plan to take at www.bahn.de and www.ns.nl (both are in English) and do the mathematics.

Chester,England
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

In this case I would say go for the pass, for the convenience and flexibility it offers.

The OP is unfamiliar with the European train system, so a pass will " forgive" any mistake, or last minute change of plans .

I would not advise it though for the pass unfriendly countries, France, Spain, Italy.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
745 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

On trains that require seat reservation, the reservation is necessary regardless of whether you have a pass or not, and the cost would not be covered by the pass. This does not always mean you always need to reserve a long time in advance, that depends on how many people are travelling.

Copenhagen - Hamburg I'd reserve as early as possible.

San Diego, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

No need to buy in advance and you are better off if you do not cuz you will git ripped off!

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

I have travelled Copenhagen - Hamburg with an Interrail Pass, reserved the day before. Reserving weeks in advance is not needed.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,285 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ticket purchase @ railway stations

"No need to buy in advance and you are better off if you do not cuz you will git ripped off!"

Please explain. I'm intrigued by your bizarre reasoning behind this statement!

Reply to: Ticket purchase @ railway stations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted