We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass

1 post
Save Topic
Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass

Hello,

Me, my wife, and my 5yo son will be visiting europe from 17 Oct - 5 Nov. We are thinking about getting a rail pass. And below you can see a summary of our itinerary :

Day 1-4 Paris (hop on hop off bus, disneyland)

Day 5 Colmar

Day 6-12 Switzerland (mt.titlis,interlaken,jungfrau)

Day 13 Bernina express

Day 13-18 Italy (cinque terre, venice, pisa, rome)

Day 18-20 Zurich

My question is, is it better if we buy the eurail pass or the swiss travel pass? Considering that most of our trip is in Switzerland and the travel cost here is the most expensive.

Thank you so much for reading this,

Best regards

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass

Do your maths for Day 6-12 for a possible Swiss pass (perhaps a Half fare card), I consider a Swiss pass of some sort may be worthwhile, but only you can confirm that yourself.

Eurail pass is never recommended in this forum, as it is more expensive than advance purchase fares and full of hassles in booking reservations.

Day 1-4 Consider Navigo Decouverte card and post your question in the Paris forum with information on what day you arrive and what day you leave (ND is best used for Monday onwards)

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g18…

In Italy a passholder means you have to buy reservations at €10 per ticket for high speed train , which makes it not worth having, since advance purchase fares can be as low as €9.

In short, fix your dates for intercity travel, and purchase advance fares from the operators concerned

For Bernina express (Chur to Tirano), you have the option of riding normal train (same track, same scenery) with no reservation necessary, plan your times at www.sbb.ch

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,084 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass

"is it better if we buy the eurail pass or the swiss travel pass? Considering that most of our trip is in Switzerland and the travel cost here is the most expensive."

You won't know until you work out what trips are actually involved (Colmar to WHERE in "Switzerland"?! Where to where to where in Italy? If you are going to CT after arriving by Bernina Express, Tirano-Milan-La Spezia takes about 7 hrs!), what trains are available on each route, and which ones you want to take, given timing constraints, personal preferences etc.. And then "do the maths" - no-one is going to do it for you (and nobody could do it at all without a proper itinerary)!

But, Paris-Colmar is likely to involve TGV from Gare de Lyon (although you can also go by ICE via Strasbourg) and many of your trips in Italy will normally require IC/Frecce trains (e.g. Milan to La Spezia for CT, Rome to Milan when returning to Zurich, Florence-Venice on the way from CT to Venice - if this is what you are doing - then Venice-Rome), which would cost you in reservation fees (for Frecce, €10 per person per trip) on top of the cost of a Eurail Pass; and if you wanted to take Italotreno instead of Frecce, these are not covered by Eurail pass at all. Therefore it is highly likely that individual tickets are the way to go in France and Italy.

For Switzerland, see https:/…chooserailpass

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,179 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass

qaminari is right. I doubt that anyone would be willing to do the calculations for you, even if we knew what your journeys are going to be. So that's what you need to do,m work out which of the options is going to be the better value for you.

Reply to: Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted