We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

2 posts
Save Topic
Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

Bought two of these passes for my fiance and I not knowing how things worked in europe. After scouring forums it sounds like it was a ripoff. I've come to terms with that, but the other thing i've noticed is that their site is completely unusable. Many times train schedules dont appear and I get a very generic error. I just also tried to book seat reservations for lyon to geneva and it said my order is processing but not confirmed. I am about to issue a chargeback against them for both tickets but id rather not do that.

My question is, assuming the global passes I purchased arrive in time and I have them in my posession is there a way to buy seat reservations through other systems that can "mix" with the global passes from rail europe or do i HAVE to use their site for seat reservations? Any information would be appreciated. I can't believe how much stress and confusion i've had to go through just to get what I thought was a buy it and forget it pass.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

1. Always use bahn.com for general timetable planning

2. No, do not even reserve with thrm

Reserve with (country specific)

https://en.oui.sncf/en/ (France)

www.oebb.at (Austria)

www.bahn.com (Germany)

Since Lyon to Geneva is cross border travel, your only option may be to go to the station at any SNCF boutique, and be subject to quotas for passholders

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

Thank you for the reply hadiwi56a!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

Most trains from Lyon to Geneva are TER (regional express trains)" which don't require any reservations. As long as you keep to those, no need to waste your time and money.

Same is true for nearly all trains in Germany, Switzerland, Benelux and many other countries.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,016 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

Good point above, you cannot reserve most trains Lyon to Genève even if you wanted to. Just check the TER times at https:/…recherche finding ligne 03 in the drop down menu.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,149 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

You have probably paid more for your travel than you need to, but I wouldn't worry too much about reservations.

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass

If you use the on line planner on www.bahn.de you will see which trains require reservations, and which don't. For trains that require reservations it is only needed to have them don before the train leaves. So you can usually just do that at the train station. Also train stations are not limited to reserving seats for trains that originate there. Any ticket office with access to the international reservation system should be able to get you reservations on pretty much any train in Europe. So you can reserve several of your trips ahead.

So I would not worry to much about this. Just have your pass, and your plane tickets, come over here and enjoy Europe.

Reply to: Unfortunately stuck with RailEurope pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted