We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

I'll be coming into St Pancras from East Croydon on Thameslink and departing on the East Midlands line to Sheffield. I've found out which platforms they use and more or less where located (A & B underground somewhere, and EM on the top concourse), but if anyone can provide more detail about the specific route from one to another, preferably using lifts, this would be very useful.

6 replies to this topic
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

It's so simple, up escalators from A & B to main level, up one level on escalators again. Probably lifts too, but I never have the patience to use those! Don't over-think it!

https:/…stpancras_map_20170817.pdf

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,257 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

Yes you just go up two levels. The Thameslink platforms are low level and the EMT platforms high level, directly above.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

Thanks, both of you. I will need the lifts though. I'm sure I'll work it out but have decided to take the earlier connecting train in case of delays or difficulties at St Pancras.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,900 posts
476 reviews
4. Re: Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

That's a good idea. Personally, I hate having to rush, and I dislike worrying about missing a train (or any form of transport).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

And it's a good thing I did! All of the northbound Bedford trains were delayed by 12-20 minutes today, so I would have been lucky to get my connection had I not been on the earlier train!

In the event, I went up 2 short escalators (undesirable with a very heavy suitcase, but manageable) and then a lift from the middle level to the top which came out very close to the East Midlands platforms, in time to sit down and have a coffee before heading to the train. So all went very smoothly, thanks to having the mental picture of what I was aiming for. ☺️

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,900 posts
476 reviews
6. Re: Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands

If you were on a through ticket, you would hav ebeen fine catching the enxt service if youd missed your connection.

Also, if you had a flexible ticket from St Pancras you'd probably have been OK.

Reply to: Connecting at St Pancras from Thameslink to East Midlands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted