We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel chains for business travelers

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,265 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel chains for business travelers

Saw this article in USA Today...with hotel chain ratings for business travel. I agree with some, some not so much.

…usatoday.com/hotels/…1

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

I didn't have that experience with Marriott. I'm not totally happy with Hyatt or Hilton even at Diamond level on both. However, Park Hyatt... that's a good sub-chain. I am also consistently impressed by the Shangri-la chain, including Traders.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

I split my stays between Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, and Best Western as much as I can. Very few problems. Occasionally, I'll do a Super 8 in small towns, but in the major cities, they're usually flea bags.

When In Europe, my travel agent is pretty good at picking a good place to stay.

Edited: 08 November 2011, 13:31
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,643 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

As we all know, most larger companies have a travel policy with preferred hotels firmly in place. And it all depends where in the food chain you are, which hotel you are entitled to. So on my travels I know exactly which hotel I am allowed to stay in

Of course I would prefer Four Seasons, but only in my dreams.

For us, it's usually the Hilton, and their standards vary.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

Fortunately, my employer's travel policy doesn't specify any specific hotel chains that I have to use. I'm expected to be budget-concious when making bookings, but have some freedom to choose. Which is good, because I find the best hotel chain for me in one city may not be the best choice in another.

When I'm travelling on business, I very rarely have meetings in the hotel--they are typically at a client or customer's offices in the city being visited. Therefore, I'm using the hotel as a place to sleep and catch up on some work/e-mail. So I'm looking for a nice, bright and comfortable room, with a nice desk and good office chair and reasonably fast in-room internet. Many of the big chains can provide that. Beyond that, I'm really looking for a good location in a business hotel. Where is it relative to the airport? Is it close to my meetings? Is it located in a nice part of town where I can go out (preferably on foot) for a nice meal in the evening?

Because so much of this is specific to the city I'm visiting, I don't find one hotel chain to be my hands-down favourite. I have some favourites due to status in hotel loyalty programs, but I won't pick one because of the loyalty program if it means being stuck in an out-of-the-way location.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

I have been a big fan of Hilton chains- mostly hamptons- doubletrees and garden inns. Usually great stays. Not a big fan of hgi adjustable beds - and like that Hampton washes duvet covers. Let a co- worker book mariott on a joint trip to virgin territory and loved it. He cited that "it has a bar you can hang at if you want". I am not much of a drinker- especially when alone - but was a great place and courtyards are on par with hgi in my mind - thinking of switching over !!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,214 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

I am a huge Marriott fan occasionally will do Hilton.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

In the US, I seek out Marriott, Intercontinental, Westin and W (last 2 being sheraton) brand hotels and choose depending on location, tariff and availability. Europe has a lot of interesting small hotels to choose from and I am not particular. However, I have found some Le Merridien (Sheraton), Bristol and Intercontinental properties to be central. In Asia, I go with the Asian chains like Shangri La, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Aman, Anantara, Taj, Oberoi, Leela, etc..

The overriding critereon for me is location, tariff and comfort.

I generally avoid Hiltons due to a few bad experiences, but having said that, I would go for one if it offered the best combination of the attributes I seek.

Victoria, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

I use Accent Inns in BC Canada...great hotel chain, economical but clean and friendly and great staff.

http://www.accentinns.com/locations

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

The article specifies 125 nights in a single chain. Any of them should and usually do cherry such a loyalty!

I use to be an Interconti guy and loved it because I am more interested in instant rewards rather than miles or points. At the top level, their program offers of course the usual upgrade to a suite, early check-in & late check-out, ... But also free minibar (lovely!) and guaranteed rooms. Lovely but one has to spend about 60 nights per year with them. Priority Club is not bad either, notably their guaranteed room feature (for Platinum).

Since my lodging pattern changed a bit (now usually one single business place per city I visit) I can no more maintain such a loyalty (location is now the key criteria) so tried other chains.

Sofitel & Pullman (Accor group) "Le Club" (Platinum): just great in term of recognition but also rewards: instead of having to book on points, you book normally and use cheques (issued according to the number of points - online and instantly). And actually so far only very good experiences with them!

Hilton: Not bad but honestly nothing special (at least for Gold)...

Starwood: Nothing special either (well I am at basic level here)

Global Hotel Alliance (www.gha.com): this is a tiny chain but with great hotels. The reason I am mentioning it is for their great reward programs: experiences. So no points or miles, just experiences such as a jogging with the hotel GM (not for me :-)) or some time spent with the chef preparing a delicious meal for you (done! :-)). Worth a try.

So it depends on what you want first: points/miles or instant reward. I prefer the later therefore Interconti comes first for me. Sofitel follows.

10. Re: Best hotel chains for business travelers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 July 2012, 22:35