We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

Hey! So I am planning on taking a solo trip for my 30th birthday, and I just found out i got 6 days off from work the second week in december. I am trying to think of where would be a cool place to go on my own, be safe as a single female traveler, and obviously somewhere that isn't going to take too long in terms of flight times, since I don't have too much time! I've been kind of all over the place trying to think of places. I have traveled by myself before as well. My thoughts were possibily taking a relaxing spa vacation maybe somewhere out on the west coast of the US, or even going to some resort in Colorado or maybe Arizona. I have also thought about Iceland, as I love the mineral hot springs, however I realized the sun is out much less during the winter, so I think that may be out. I was also thinking of wellness or yoga retreats. I am pretty open to anything, just don't want to go somewhere that I will be surrounded by couples and feeling lonely, it'd be nice to go somewhere to meet other people as well. Likes : Spas, yoga, meditation, nature, photography, hot springs, 420, crafts, shopping, relaxing, palm trees, etc. I would be flying out of New York and have a decent budget for the trip! Any ideas?? Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

The fact that you would be flying out of one of the New York airports creates a lot of flexibility, as you will have nonstop flight options available to a major chunk of the globe.

From Item #7 on your list of likes, I see why you are drawn to Colorado, even though it would be December. Arizona might have better spa/resort options that time of year, but it does not have the extra amenity of the Centennial State. Another option for a spa holiday/yoga retreat would be Costa Rica. I don't think the flight time would be prohibitive, especially if you can find a nonstop. For you, Europe is even an option, especially the western edge of Europe (Portugal, Spain, even France), although the weather would not be tropical. Of course, the weather would not be tropical getting your Rocky Mountain High in Colorado either. (Sorry for the early 70s reference there. That was my era.)

Ohio
Level Contributor
994 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

My first thought when I saw spa + yoga + nature + meditation + photography + hot springs + feeling comfortable as a solo traveler (versus being around couples only) was Costa Rica as well. With 6 days you could spend all your time at one destination or split into two. You could toss in a couple of day or half day tours and using shared shuttles would provide an extra opportunity to meet people along the way who are heading to the same destination. With 5 1/2 hour flight time, not too much of your vacation is in the air.

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

I actually was thinking about Costa Rica. I went 2 years ago, which was the only reason why I was thinking maybe not. Obviously there are a ton of different places to go there and I loved it there as well. It's an option, but did kind of want to go somewhere I have never been. Thanks for responding!

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

Yes, I was thinking Arizona could be a nice spa getaway, from what I hear though it isn't that warm in the winter as well, but I guess it is better than the east coast! I have been to France, but Portugal and Spain seem like it could be interesting. Anyplace you would reccomend there that would be good for my time frame and as a single female? Also would like to be somewhere that people speak some English, just to make it easier on myself! Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

Costa Rica would've been perfect, except for the fact that you've already been there. You only get one 30th birthday, so it demands some place new. I googled "yoga retreats in south america" and got this article: doyouyoga.com/10-incredible-yoga-retreats-in…

I don't do yoga. I'm as flexible as rock. But the Guatemala picture could seriously make me consider taking it up ...

After I posted my Spain and Portugal recommendations, I read that all of the spas in Portugal (except one) close for the winter. Not sure about Spain. Language should not be much of a problem in either country. It's generally not a problem unless you get to remote rural locales and, even there, you might find an English speaker or three.

6. Re: Solo Trip for 30th Birthday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2017, 09:46