We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

Trnava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

Hello,

I will be traveling from Los Angeles to Miami...I will have 16 days and I would like to travel by buses or trains in order to be flexible and not have strict plan although I know that I would not have much time during the stops in different places

My question is - what would be your advice how to travel? rather buses or trains? I read something about amtrak 15 days pass but not sure if the train connection is good one, and I read also somewhere that its necessary as well to book the seat much earlier..Thanks in advance for your advices!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,910 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

US Greyhound busing has a bad rep. They are definitely not for everyone and many would not recommend them. They are the last choice, I would say. There are some other bus lines, but I am not familiar with the. I think Megabus may be one. You may want to consider the occasional regional flight as some can be quite inexpensive. Check the Amtrak website for routes, discounts (if you are a student or under/over a certain age).

I am curious as to why you are drawn to travel this route. Generally people are trying to link specific cities but it sounds like you are just interested in the vagabond approach of travel, stop, see what's there and move on. You do need to take i to consideration, that you will be spending a lot of time sitting in a vehicle for most of your 16 days. Decide what your goal is and consoder whether it is realistic or not.

There is a website, rome2rio, that you may want to work on as it allows you to link travel legs and it provides travel options, prices and travel time.

This forum is a mixed global bag of experienced travelers, so though you may be travelling solo, you should ask on some of the other Tripadvisor forums. Road Trips and Train Travel forums come to mind. Normally I recommend the destination specific forums, but this one is tricky, as it covers a lot of ground.

Edited: 22 October 2016, 22:36
Trnava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

Thanks for your reply! I am not decided if I will travel by trains and buses, I wanted to find out first if it would be actually possible, if not I will take of course some flights as well...

Yes my approach its a bit "vagabond"...my situation is a bit complicated since I am now in US for some working purposes and then I will be traveling one month around (first 2 weeks around Califonia, Utah, Arizona by car) and then wanted to take that round since I have flight back to Europe from Miami (although I have some specific places and cities which I want to visit on that round, all suggestions are of course very welcome :) )

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

you can check out seat61.com, link below. I dont work for them but i use it alot. it also covers the USA.

http://seat61.com

i can see the draw of wanting to see the USA especially since you are from outside of it.

some comments....

> your time & $$$ is limited. Make sure this is how you want to spend it here. I know the value of your $$ isnt as good and that it wont last as long, but still consider the time sitting in transit. I have used the trains in Europe and wish ours was just as nice, fast and convenient.

> There are many things to do and see in between, but much of the USA is spread out. you can use puddle jumpers to get from A to B and then rent a car, but i will cost more $$ to do so.

> consider spending your time on one coast and then when you return at a later date, see the other coast or in-between.

good luck.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

Train travel is not really a viable option within the United States, with the exception of the Northeast corridor from Washington to New York to Boston. This is a big country and distances are very long. Trains don't run between given cities with anything close to the frequency of Europe. And trains are slow, as the quality of the rails here in the USA is not equal to Europe (especially Western Europe).

You can get stitch together a very nice 16-day cross-country trip over the southern tier of the United States through a combination of buses (which, as others have noted, have "issues"), train, and ultra-discount airlines. If you don't have a lot of baggage, and especially if you are small of stature, then the super-discount airlines (Spirit, Allegiant) can be a very inexpensive means of getting between two points. Spirit is such a heavy discounter that they even charge you for water. The seats are packed tight, so it is not viable for long flights for bigger people. Allegiant is a little more comfortable, but you may have to go on Allegiant's website as it is not always listed on the travel websites (Spirit usually is).

There are so many great places to see on the route you've planned. Las Vegas! The Grand Canyon! Santa Fe! Austin! Houston! New Orleans! Orlando and DisneyWorld! Enjoy!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

one thing about those really discount airline is that they may decide at any moment to cancel any flight. It will depend on how many seats they can sell.

if you do use the its just something to be aware of.

My brother uses Southwest alot for personal and work and so far no flight has been cancelled.

good luck.

Ohio
Level Contributor
989 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

As others mentioned, we don't have a great rail system in the US. It is more common to find a route traveled once a day or once every other day - which doesn't sound as if it would meet your needs. The Amtrak route is LA to Chicago to Washington DC to Miami. I see two viable options...

CAR RENTAL: Since you are comfortable with driving in the US, have you considered renting a car one way? Yes, it can be expensive, but also there could be opportunities for something not too expensive. LA to Miami would make for a great road trip since you'd pass through areas such as Grand Canyon, the Painted Desert, New Orleans, and so much more. You could balance your budget a bit by staying at some of the small roadside motels. (You'd travel I-40, which is also old Route 66 some of the way and there are 1940s-50s era themed motels along that route).

CAR RENTAL or FLIGHT & MEGA BUS: Get yourself to Austin or Houston Texas (I'd do a one way car rental to see the beautiful sights of Arizona and New Mexico), then take Megabus. Megabus is a low cost bus system with regional webs of routing. Texas through Florida is within one web. (there is no web from California to get you to Texas) Megabus pricing is tiered for each ticket sold. The first ticket is around $1 and the second is around $5, then climbing in price to usually around $35. You can only get tickets online. I'd say it is worth taking a look at their site. www.megabus.com You'd probably go from Austin to Houston to New Orleans to Tallahassee to Miami (you could add Orlando in between the last two if you want to see Disney). You could substitute Atlanta for Tallahassee. Each connection is a different route and you'd pay for each route. Buses are motorcoaches and are quite nice.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,910 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

I have a suggestion that I have considered doing some time, but there is a safety factor to consider. You can rent camper vans that have everything you need. Jucy is one but doesnt seem to have a Miami office. Escape has an LA and Miami office, so you could do a one way. The hard part may be finding safe overnights. I guess private campgrounds would be safer than park campgrounds. Walmart used to allow overnight parking, but not sure I would do that as a solo woman traveller. Every few nights use a hotel/motel/hostel if you need a break.

There is also a system of cheap rentals by being the delivery driver for cars/vehicles that need to be moved. If you are on a set time frame, that might not work. Also for either, now sure what licensing is required.

The delivery driver system gives some spare days grace, but maybe not enough, and the camper rental may be too much driving in just 16 days. I think it would be fun, though.

8. Re: Travel from Los Angeles to Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2017, 09:46