We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

Hey guys

I'm looking to backpack somewhere in the world around October next year for about 6 months straight.

I'm looking for places that are low/med cost and has good internet availability.

But the main thing I'm looking to do is just to meet a lot of people and go out every night. Have drinks and shoot the sh**, you know, just a lot of hanging around and meeting people.

I'm looking to meet 20-30 year olds.

I'm open to anywhere in the world. What cities/countries do you suggest? Any input is welcomed!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

You will find that mobile Internet is very widely available and quite cheap in most developing countries. For instance, 4 GB of data costs about 23 CAD in Thailand. Get an unlocked phone so that you can buy prepaid local SIM cards as you go. Get an expensive enough phone that supports the frequency bands used outside the Americas. An expensive phone will function also as a WiFi hotspot if you need to connect a laptop or a tablet to Internet. Tourist venues make free WiFi available for their customers, too.

Southeast Asia is the old standby during the winter months. It is fairly inexpensive, most countries offer visa exemptions or visas on arrival and numerous local and regional budget airlines make traveling easy even in large island nations like Indonesia and the Philippines. It is also famous as a backpacking destination and backpackers often follow each other. See https://www.travelfish.org/ and http://southeastasiabackpacker.com/.

South America will be in its summer. It and Central America may be a good choice especially if you want to improve your Spanish.

The irony is that some backpackers publicly loathe places spoiled by tourism but also want to socialize with their peers which means following the herd. In Southeast Asia truly socializing with the locals is surprisingly difficult; there seem to be language, cultural and monetary barriers. The Americas might be easier especially if you speak Spanish.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,905 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

Where have you looked at so far?

Without knowing what you have already looked at and dismissed any suggestions I may make

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
1 review
3. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

heres some thoughts.

you can drink, BS and meet people anywhere you want.

You want affordability too?

have you thought about staying home? it will save you the plane ticket out of the country and all that money can be used for housing, drinks and anything else.

if you just want to get out of dodge, you can do that too. head on over to some other nearby city where you can drive. Save $$ on a flight. that way you can drive to different places too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

Some seem to think travel books have no purpose in this age of internet, however, it doesn't hurt to try one. I suggest one of the Lonely Planet 'On a Shoe String' guides. They help you figure out what you didn't know you needed to know. These cover Central America, South America, Southeast Asia, Europe....you get the picture. They are for people on a budget. Plan to stay in hostels for both making your dollar go further and meeting up with others for the socializing.

Even if a little out of date, I am sure you can get one from your library system.

Ohio
Level Contributor
994 posts
264 reviews
5. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

6 months of hanging around, partying and BS-ing on a small budget. Any interest in seeing or doing anything else?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

I agree with others with have said meeting people is easy as long as there are people around to meet. Perhaps look in to high season in some places, though that will raise the rates some. I also agree you should at least do some of the research yourself. Six months is heaps of time, one has so very many options.

I consider weather when making choices on destination, perhaps that will narrow your field some.

I was out for 5 months two years running, I was in Honduras for three both years then wandered Ireland for eight weeks one year, the following year I did a loop in South East Asia.

I did a single google search and found this:

priceoftravel.com/1475/…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

Central America sounds right up your alley. It's cheap (not quite as cheap as SE Asia, but close), attracts a big crowd of 20-30 year old backpackers (a bit older than the straight-out-of-college backpackers in SE Asia and Europe, at least in my experience), and offers plenty of opportunities to party every night of the week if you want to. For some reason it also seems to attract tons of Canadian backpackers, so you certainly wouldn't feel out of place!

Based on the sole interest you mentioned (socializing) I'd recommend San Juan Del Sur in Nicaragua, Utila in Honduras, and Antigua, Lake Atitlan, & Lanquin/Semuc Champey in Guatemala.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
8. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

I want to leave my country and experience new places, people, and just be away for a long time type of experience.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

Getting a perspective is a good thing. When I visited Vancouver I thought that it would be a great place where to live instead of just being a tourist.

Work on your language skills if you really want to expand your horizons. Sixteen years after my first visit to Thailand I'm finally fluent enough in Thai to be able to have a drinking session with the local guys without feeling like an out of place dummy. It would be kind of weird to travel the world and chat only with other Canadian backpackers.

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,182 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Best places to solo travel to socialize and meet people

I agree if you want to meet locals it helps to speak the language. Do you speak anything besides English? IME, of the places I've been the Dutch and the Germans pretty much all spoke English well enough to socialize in it. In France and Poland, most people didn't speak it that well, although they did speak it well enough to communicate for tourism needs.

They speak English in the UK and Ireland. Also Australia and New Zealand.