We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I go next summer???

Fort Atkinson...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Where should I go next summer???

I have been experiencing a lot of wanderlust the past couple of weeks and I want to go on a trip next summer after I graduate from high school.

I have traveled throughout the United States and have been to about 10 countries with my family. I have never traveled outside of Wisconsin alone before and I'm ready to do so.

I consider myself very adventurous; I like to hike, backpack, camp, canoe/kayak, fish, hunt, snorkel, etc. However, I have more intellectual side as well- museums, history, culture, and art are some other things I enjoy. Basically all I'm saying is that I'm open to many different activities.

I would like an adventure, but since I'll be young and it would be my first trip solo, it is necessary that the destination is safe. I am very confident in my "on-trail" skills so that is never an issue for me.

Money is a slight concern for me. $3000 would be at the absolute maximum. I would love to spend less, but I'm willing to put that much down. I will be in Hawaii for the first two weeks of July with family and my grandfather is covering my airfare. With that in mind, rather than flying back to the mainland at the conclusion of that trip, I presume my grandfather would fund the airfare to another location from there (also assuming the cost of a different flight doesn't exceed that of one back to Chicago). If that were to happen, I would only have to pay for one flight back home to Chicago.

With all that being said, where in the world should I go??? I'm open to road trips and flights to any country/state. Considering I'll be in Hawaii for two weeks and I wouldn't really want to focus this trip on beaches, snorkeling, etc. I'm thinking a 1-2 week trip anytime during mid July to mid August. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
10,322 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Where should I go next summer???

Machu Picchu

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: Where should I go next summer???

You might want to start by confirming whether grandpa will foot that one way for you. If he is booking flights on points, there can be a vast difference to the equivalent in cash towards your altered flight 'home'.

Are you interested in going anywhere specific? If so, you have all year to research them for budget and activities. Being open to anything will usually result it random suggestions of places. You might revisit a place you have been to before and view/experience from your own perspective rather than mom and dad's. It gives some familiarity while you learn the ropes of solo travel.

How about Vancouver and the Rocky Mountains(Banff)?

Fort Atkinson...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Where should I go next summer???

Machu Picchu is definitely on my bucket list. How could I get to Banff if I were to fly to an airport?

India
Level Contributor
282 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Where should I go next summer???

Banff is beautiful. You could fly into Calgary and then drive. There are some tours and some airport transfers you could take to go to Banff.

Edited: 08 September 2016, 12:45
India
Level Contributor
282 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Where should I go next summer???

Or, since you have the time, why don't you fly into Vancouver, drive through Jasper and then go to Banff and fly out of Calgary? Vancouver is a great city with lots of adventure options too. If you can't drive, I believe there is a nice (expensive) train from Vancouver. Its a long journey but a beautiful one.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: Where should I go next summer???

My choice would be Japan or South Korea, safe, different and nice. From Hawaii you are already half way there. From amazing natural parks to cultural places I think you will have an unforgettable trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Where should I go next summer???

You may not be able to rent a car at age 18 without an extreme surcharge.

Suggestions could be San Francisco/Yosemite. Amtrak combo train/bus will get you into Yosemite Valley.

If you are able to rent a car there are tons of Natl Parks/Etc to explore inexpensively for campers/backpackers. Certainly, Falcon_flight's suggestion of Canadian Rockies could be doable from Calgary. You could also fly to Spokane/Seattle/Boise/Salt Lake via Southwest Airlines and see Yellowstone/Glacier and possibly combined with Canadian Rockies if you have two or more weeks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Where should I go next summer???

Actually, Glacier Natl Park is considered by many as the premiere hiking/backpacking place in North America

if not the world. My guess is you have already been there and you are fully aware Amtrak brings you right to the front and back door of park at East Glacier and West Glacier.

Fort Atkinson...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Where should I go next summer???

I'm thinking Glacier National Park is most realistic. I would drive out there or take the Amtrak. My concern with many of the suggestions is that I would not be able to get from the airport to the park. I won't be able to rent a car, but I could possibly take an Uber/taxi. I'll be in the Boundary Waters for a week in August, and will hopefully be in Isle Royale NP for 5 days following that trip. So I'm not quite sold on a similar adventure (I like variety). Any places in central or South America? Does anyone have information getting to Olympic NP or Acadia NP from the nearest airport? I have heard great things about those parks as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Where should I go next summer???

Assuming you are coming in from Hawaii to Seattle. You could Amtrak to Glacier and after Glacier to Milwaukee/Chicago. via Empire Builder. I think there is a campground at Apgar maybe a few miles from west Glacier Amtrak station.

Yosemite valley along with the Tioga Road to Mammouth Lakes is doable with Amtrak from downtown San Francisco.

I assume Megabus or Greyhound might get you to other parks.

Southwest Airlines now flies to many central american countries including Costa Rica, Mexico and the Caribbean. See Southwest.com "Route map" click box to see nonstop flights.

Many of the nonstops are out of Houston.

Edited: 10 September 2016, 22:20