We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

Mumbai, India
7 posts
North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

Hi All,

i am planning to travel North-east India in the month of November for 15 days and my plan is to travel alone.

i have few questions could you please help?

1. when is the good time to travel to north-east india... is November a good month to travel

2. is 15 days good enough to travel to North East

3. Is it safe to travel alone and manageable as well

Would really appreciate if you all can share you experience or suggestions.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
141 reviews
1. Re: North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

Hello Gupta and welcome to the solo forum.

I'm always amazed at the vast experience of posters on this forum, so hopefully, another poster who has been to NE India, will be able to reply.

I note that you've also posted in the India forum itself, and I'm sure that given time, you'll get replies form locals and destination experts from that forum.

In the meanwhile, you could start your own research by using good quality guide books, and reading the comprehensive & substantial amount of info that already exists on the individual destination forum pages here in trip advisor.

Good luck with your planning.... and your trip of course.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

Yes November is a good time to travel but up in the mountains is a little cold. You will need a warm coat but one you can fold up easily in your back pack- lightweight. Also a warm jumper could be useful. I went took a local plane to SILIGURI and then took a jeep up the mountains..stay one night and then the toy train to Darjeerling. This is a most enjoyable trip on this heritage rail. I stayed a couple of nights and look around there.I went to Zoo and Botanic Gardens and a heritage hotel for high tea. The market square is historic area. Buy some tea to take home! Then I went to Kamilpong and some other small towns in mountains by jeep and bus- Then back in Siliguri I went by train overnight sleeper to Kolkata. I did government tourist office bus tour of town for full day at reasonable cost. From there you can go to the Sundilands which is supposed to be very beautiful area with many wetlands.

But I did not have time as had to return to Delhi. I did all of this trip on my own and was very safe. I always have main meal in the day time and take food back to hotel and stay indoors at night.

This is a good idea for you to go off and explore your country, but in India this solo travel is frowned upon and people like to go in family groups or with friends. You will be questioned as to why you are traveling alone. Have some smart answers for them and believe in yourself. Travelling will help you to grow as a person, and become more independent. Good luck to see more of Incredible India.

Maggie X

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

Also in Kolkata I went to Kalighat to see Kali temple. There are scammers there so be careful. Also to see Mother House- of Mother Theresa. The Queen Victoria building and more...so much to see in Kolkata- beautiful city

India
1 post
2 reviews
4. Re: North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

November is the good time for this, 15-20 days is enough for this trip.

Mumbai, India
7 posts
5. Re: North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

Thanks for your suggestion :)

6. Re: North East India_November2016_Solo Traveling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2017, 09:46