We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling solo UK

2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling solo UK

I want to explore places in the UK on my own - only one day or two day trips, but not sure where to start.

Would have to be accessible via train - any ideas? :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,399 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling solo UK

Hello,

As you have not put a location under your username we don't know where you are based. Its is a large area to cover so it would help if you gave some more details, eg. Roughly where you will be departing from, which region interests you, eg. Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Lake District, Cornwall, London, Yorkshire, or some of your interests.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling solo UK

Hi! I would be departing from the North Wales area and am happy to go absolutely anywhere and try everything more or less :)

Edited: 04 June 2016, 03:45
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling solo UK

i havent been to North Wales, yet, but if you have any trains going to/from your area, i would look there first. i really like trains so I'm really biased.

If you can drive and or have a car, then it would make going easier.

I find that travel by train in Europe and the UK makes it easy to get away if you choose.

good luck where ever you decide.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling solo UK

For day trips. or some 2 night trips, it may be easier to concentrate on the Welsh coast, particularly the Gower Peninsula, or for a 2 day plus trip the Lake District. If you are more interested in cities, then Cardiff, possibly York, Liverpool or Manchester can be done as day trips, and have much to offer. For 2 nights or more, you could consider flying to Dublin or Belfast, or taking the train to Glasgow.

For info on routes, fares and getting advance rail tickets please see www.nationalrail.co.uk

If you are going on a few train trips, it may be worth buying a national rail pass, as this can save you up to a third on off peak rail travel.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling solo UK

My first question is simply 'Where are you in North Wales?' That is, where would you start from on the train?

Essex
Level Contributor
31,520 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling solo UK

Please add some kind of 'home location' to your profile!

It does not have to be your exact address, but town/city/county would be of use to those who are trying to help you, and is friendly, too.

If you add this on (see your profile page and go to 'edit') the location will show under your screen name, like Essex shows under mine.....

Now I have said that, I also agree by starting with looking at where you can get to easily by train from 'home'.

Next would be looking at the National Express website, and seeing where you could get to easily by coach from 'home'.

Finally look at your nearest airport and see where you could get to easily by plan from 'home'.....

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,044 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling solo UK

If you are on the north Wales coast, you could start by looking at Chester, Liverpool and Manchester, as well as the places you can also reach from them. It's actually easier to get to York or the Lake District than to get to Gower by train!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling solo UK

Shrewsbury is fascinating and generally delightful.

9. Re: Travelling solo UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2017, 09:47