We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

9 posts
Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

Hi, I was wondering what advice I can get about my solo travel adventure in Jamaica. I am a 21 year old female. I plan on mostly staying in the Montego Bay area at the end of May. Any safety advice, where to stay, and what to see would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

Hi and welcome to Trip Avisor!

With such a destination specific question, you might also want to post this on the Jamaica Travel Forum

https:/…ShowForum-g147309-i69-Jamaica.html

It is also possible to drill down to a more geographically specific forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g147…

My understanding is that Montego Bay is the land of the All Inclusive, complete with armed guards.

That wouldn't be my idea of an "adventure", but Jamaica is a beautiful country.

As well as the forum, you might want to have a look at a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide for the country. Both are available for Kindle and the Lonely Planet Guide can be bought in pdf form chapter by chapter.

Utah
Level Contributor
174 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

Is there any reason why you need to stay in an all-inclusive or go to Jamaica specifically? I ask that because as a solo female traveler, I would never choose a destination with all-inclusives. It says to me that the areas around it aren't safe so you're safest staying at the resort or on guided excursions. If you're looking to explore local culture, the arts, food, shopping, etc., I'd choose a safer destination and not have to stay at an all-inclusive. If you're looking to stay at the resort to relax and not worry about how much you're going to spend, where to eat or where to go, then stay at an all-inclusive.

Since you mentioned safety, I'd just avoid destinations where you would even feel unsafe outside the all-inclusive resort. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to spark a pros and cons of all-inclusives debate. Just saying what I would do which is to stay away from destinations that are not as safe and warrant the development of all-inclusive resorts.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

As stated, move on over to the Jamaica forum. For safest considerations, use an AI and take their tours. If you are not experienced traveling as a solo, Jamaica would not be my first choice to do so; particularly if you were wanting to adventure out on your own.

You can also discuss on the TripAdvisor Beach Destinations forum and see what they say.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i122…

Severn, Maryland
Level Contributor
95 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

I traveled solo to Negril, Jamaica a few years back. I stayed at an AI Resort and I also took sightseeing and other excursions in groups. I NEVER went off the resort at night or daytime BY MYSELF. Some things are just common sense. I had a wonderful time also.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
302 reviews
5. Re: Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

Hi Krystal,

I stayed last year at Toby's Resort in Montego Bay. At the time i was not travelling as a solo female, but I have travelled all over the world as one, so I know the kind of things you need to watch out for. I would highly recommend this resort. It is NOT an all-inclusive resort, which I think has it advantages in some ways. You can have your breakfast there (fabulous) but there are many places on the main road where Toby's is located, to have lunch and dinner. The main beach (Captains) is about a 5 minute walk away(it's $25 US for a day pass) and that includes a chaise lounger and umbrella. There is a great bar and restaurant on the beach with bar service to your chaise. There is also a very nice pool at Toby's. There are hawkers on the main road that definitely try to lure you into their shops etc, but I just gave them a polite no and wave and it was fine. I never felt unsafe. Just use common sense safety precautions.

Jo

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6. Re: Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

Hi Krystal,

I traveled solo to Jamaica twice, both times I landed in Montego Bay and got a taxi to Negril. I did not live in an AI, I stayed at a guest house, sort of smaller cabins right next to the beach. I went back a second time because I absolutely love Jamaica. The people, the food, the music, the beach, the sunsets and sunrise. It's amazing, and I have never found a place quite like it.

It is true, just like with any other place in the world that you need to be wise about where you go and who you go with. But I never found myself in an uncomfortable situation, and I hung out with locals who in one way or another were affiliated with the landlady who I rented my cabin from. I also met a lot of people being out and about quite a bit.

I also met a tonne of other travelers, many from the US and I had a blast. It is pretty easy to meet new people and I never went on a guarded tour or had any guards at the place where I was staying and I never felt unsafe. I do want to point out that most times I did have people around me, it just naturally happened that way. I did not spend a lot of time going places completely on my own, but on the few occasions that I did, it was fine.

I can only speak of Negril, I'm not sure how dangerous Montego Bay or other places in Jamaica are. I always tend to stay away from AIs, but then I have traveled many places on my own, like Jamaica, China, Curacao and the US - I feel comfortable getting around on my own, and feel like I can look after myself.

I won't say do this or do that because I don't know you and I wouldn't want you to make a bad decision based on my recommendation, BUT in my experience, as long as you use common sense, and stay away from obvious dangers you should be fine. Personally, I would have traveled to Negril, but that's just me.

JA is a beautiful country, enjoy!

7. Re: Sole Female Traveler Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2017, 09:46