We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking trip: Mexico - Central America - South America

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Backpacking trip: Mexico - Central America - South America

Hi,

I recently just got back from a 14 month solo backpacking trip around Asia and NZ and decided to come home for a little bit to get a few things sorted before heading off to Mexico and the alike, My original plan was to come home for a while learn to drive, buy a new camera and do a few other things and then get back on the road.

Now a few of my friends want to do a small trip for a few days in Amsterdam but not until late May which would mean I wouldn't be able to start my trip until June which from the sounds of it is the start of the Hurricane/wet season which isn't really ideal.

Now the issue I'm currently having is trying to decide on what to do and how bad the weather really is around this time of the year? I kind of left it a bit late to research the seasons otherwise I would have only of come home for a week or 2....

Either way I know you can never really get perfect weather all the time when you do a long trip like this, so even if I did start my trip in December for example by the time I make it down to the South it's probably going to be around May/June time anyway.

So as it stands I see y options are 1) Either leave in a couple of weeks or so and head straight to Mexico and make my way down or 2) wait until I go on my trip with my friends in late may and leave in early June and just deal with the bad weather ( not really ideal) or 3) wait all the way until December this year and then start my trip which definitely was never an option I'd considered before hand since I wasn't planing on working this year....

Sorry for the long post but i'd love to hear everyone opinions and thoughts.

Many thanks

Tom

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
141 reviews
1. Re: Backpacking trip: Mexico - Central America - South America

Hello Tommy and welcome to the solo forum. I've puzzled over your questions, but I'm not sure what advice you're looking for. From your post, you seem an experienced traveller, and probably know how to plan and budget for a trip, so I'm unsure if anyone's opinions will make much difference to you.

My only advice would be to research your new destinations in some depth, and if weather conditions will hamper, impede or compromise your plans, to then alter those plans.

Good luck.

2. Re: Backpacking trip: Mexico - Central America - South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2017, 10:47