We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

I have reached a point in my life where I am suffering to find the value or meaning of my life. I graduated as an Interior Architect with a first class honors degree and currently doing a masters in Innovation management and entrepreneurship. However, none of this mean anything to me anymore. I feel like I need to travel to find my purpose again.

So I have made the decision to start saving up for a possible 6-8 months trip around south/south east Asia. My plan is to cover south east Asia first then end with south Asia, with the last country being Bangladesh (my parents are originally Bangladeshi so I have relatives there)

I am very new to this so have not really set up a strategy or planned anything but I was wondering if any other females have done this Solo before? How safe is it and what should I avoid? Any other advice would help too. I was thinking to leave next year, possibly around April.

Thank you all.

Tanisha Shafiqullah

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

I did Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and zipped in to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat as a solo female in April/May of 2008. Thailand was still rainy season so be prepared for WET! I found it dead easy, plenty of other people doing a variations of the same loop both directions.

I find travel blogs, google images,travel webs and guide book to be wonderful sources of information before I go.

I have a very healthy dose of common sense and listen to my spidey sense. I don't know what to say about places to stay away from. You might google "scams" for the various areas so ya don't get completely taken in.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
248 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

Travel Erases Illusions. Hope you get what you seeking.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,288 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

Searches in the local forums will turn up trip reports of solo female travelers ranging from the young to the infirm so definitely others have done it.

Read the forums using a browser on a computer or notepad so that you see the "Top questions". Solo Travel and Bargain Travel forums have some very generally applicable ones.

http://www.travelfish.org/ and http://southeastasiabackpacker.com/ are useful online resources for Southeast Asia in addition to printed travel guides.

Your destination area will be in the monsoon season for at least half of your trip if you start in April for 8 months. Find out what that means in each country - on some roads it can be a real barrier to traveling.

Also backpackers are tourists. Most of them seem to travel to have fun in warm countries where their budget makes them affluent compared to locals and to have bragging rights at home. It is very easy to travel in a backpacker tourist bubble mingling mostly with other tourists who at least speak your language. How will that kind of travel help you find a purpose in life? If some backpackers really see the local life and think about it, most of them probably decide that having a boring nine to five job in the UK is a blessing.

People eat, produce night soil and die. Some are able to raise kids to be good people. Millions of dirt-poor Bangladeshi farmers hardly can expect more so why you should have the luxury of a special purpose in life. If you really look for a purpose maybe cancel the fun tour of Southeast Asia and spend time in Bangladesh. At least having relatives gives you an excuse for butting into people's lives. Try to understand what their life really is like and how your skills might help to make things better.

There is no need to travel to find a purpose in life. You can do it right at home. Some people find it in religion or ideology but unfortunately a number of them end up blowing up lots of innocent people.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
255 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

Hi Tanisha,

I say go out to SE Asia and have a blast. Life is to short to be miserable. It's a cliche but we really only do live once and there is an amazing world out there. Get out and see it.

Anyway to return to your question I have travelled in SE Asia alone, and in company. Do your research before you go so you know what is a scam, be streetwise and you will be fine.

Have a good trawl around the forums, check out other people's itineraries for ideas and enjoy planning your trip. You can travel, stay and eat in SE Asia very cheaply - don't be afraid to use overnight sleeper trains, hostels and try street food if you are on a budget.

Most of all enjoy yourself - although bear in mind at some point you will probably have to return home :-( ...it's planning the next trip that keeps me sane!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

Hi Tanisha,

I think you will love travelling to these countries and you can definitely do it by yourself. Like the other posts have said, read ahead and so you know what to expect and what possible scams may be out there, but you'll meet lots of people and have a great time. The beauty of travelling alone is that you can decide what to do each day, when to move on to the next place and how you're going to do it, without having to make sure other people are happy too!

Have you thought about doing a group tour for just the start of your trip? I did ThaiIntro which was one week long starting in Bangkok and met lots of other people on that (both groups of people and people travelling solo), and from this people teamed up to continue their travels depending on where they were wanting to go.

6. Re: Female,26 planing to travel solo in South/South East Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2017, 10:46