We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

Hi all,

I have a break from work coming up - 24 Dec to 15 Jan. As you can guess, I have left my travel plans until really late. I have nothing planned as of today, but would really need a break and a trip away, having had a more than hectic year at work.

I have previously travelled solo to Italy and Spain on two separate trips. I would love to hear suggestions on where I should be heading to for 2 to 2.5 weeks? I live in Australia, which is more or less isolated from the rest of the world. I do understand that it will be hard to get accommodation. But, I am open to living in hostels, which I have done so previously, which I might still find some availability.

Cheers

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
1. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

Nicaragua

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
87 reviews
2. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

Hello jacarandas!

Maybe you could make some research and see what is realistic in terms of transport availability/budget, then narrow it down according to your interests a bit and come back to help you chose from a final list of destinations? The way your original post is written, an answer could be "The world is your oyster" which I think would not be really helpful, would it?

When asking for advice it is important to clarify on things like your budget, how you envision your trip, what your traveling pace is, how far are you willing to travel, what your interests are etc etc.... I'm not trying to be partonising here, just telling you how you can help us to help you...

Edited: 11 December 2015, 10:50
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

If you want ideas, go to skyscanner.com, set your departure city for Sydney or Melbourne, your departure and return month for December and January and your destination to ANY. It will list some prices for destinations e.g. Malaysia from $765, Fiji $625, Japan $1376 and U.S. $965 (all from Melbourne). You've given no info on your interests and really, the only thing that matters is where YOU want to go.

Edit: Skyscanner is good for getting an idea of prices but best to book only directly with airlines, not third party booking sites.

Edited: 11 December 2015, 10:59
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,002 posts
476 reviews
4. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

Have you thought about New Zealand? There;s plenty to see and do there and like Australia, it will be summer in December and January. Auckland, the Bay of Islands, Rotorua and Queenstown would be on my list of places to go to for sure.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

On the other hand, if you want a cheap and exotic holiday - South East Asia is easy to get to, has good tourist infrastructure (particularly Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam) and has plenty to see and do.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,002 posts
476 reviews
6. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

Yes, SEA is a good choice, too!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,531 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

jacarandas you don't give us much to go on, no interests or previous travels.

It's not long and peak season so I would look to somewhere not too far so you don't waste the precious time travelling.

Besides if you have to apply for visas this late on you may want to look near home where you won't need one. You will also need to get foreign currency, insurance

8. Re: Last minute travel plans - Where should I go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2016, 10:48