We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

Minnesota
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

I recently found out how lucky I am to have a son who is a pilot. Free travel, anytime, anywhere as long as it is stand by. I would often travel solo. I do not wish to have to rent a car. I love hop on , hop off tours. Did the one I Boston, and Toronto,but not as a solo traveler. Looking for recommendations, of safe, interesting, destinations. Somewhere that I can easily get a transport from airport to good hotel, and from there either walk the area or do the bus thing.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,260 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

Julie, what country are you from, and where would you be flying out of?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

Would be flying out of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
189 reviews
3. Re: Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

For North America consider - Chicago, Philly, New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, San Diego, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta. All have relatively easy access from airport to the city (public transportation or cab/shuttle) and things to do within the city that are accessible to walk, shuttle, bus, or lightrail.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,260 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

I would add Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. Light rail, shuttle buses or taxi to cities and walkable cores with history and architecture. The eastern ones with more age than Toronto and Vancouver is an interesting NW coast vibe....and great views. Hmmm, what about Seattle?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

Great ideas. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
111 reviews
6. Re: Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

Best bets: Montreal, Washington, D.C., or San Francisco.

Given your travel situation, you could go almost anywhere. Montreal is the best combination of "foreign" and "convenient" you can get from your starting point. Washington and San Francisco are great options for a long weekend without a car, especially since the mass transit system is connected to the airport. Atlanta is the absolute best in this regard as the MARTA train line pulls into its station right next to baggage claim. And, yes, there are things to do there, but for a long weekend when the world (or at least North America) is your oyster, there are better options. (Atlanta is a place that has things to do if you go there. It's not a place you go for things to do. Make sense?)

You will eat very well and have no need of a car for a solo trip to any of the places I've listed.

Edited: 24 October 2015, 08:32
7. Re: Long weekend solo travel. No car needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2016, 09:47