We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Jakarta, Indonesia
6 posts
Save Topic
Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

I have plan to go to europe this Dec 2015 starting 18 Dec - 2 Jan 16

I got ticket Jakarta - Amsterdam - Jakarta.

Please advise me what should i prepare and where should i visit durings short time since this is my first time going to europe and solo trip

High appreciate for your advise.

Thank you

B. Rgds

Leea

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,135 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Hello Leea and welcome to the Tripadvisor forums!

You'll find that things work better if you tell us a few more details. For example, what is it that you want to do? What attracted you to visiting Europe and Amsterdam? Do you plan on visiting any other cities, and if so, which ones?

Jakarta, Indonesia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Thank you for your feedback.

Actually i dont have any idea, but I want to go to other cities in netherland and some country in europe near by netherlands, i think belgium, luxemburg, france and germany

I like to go to museum, historical building, typical building of the city & local market.

I like to try the local food also

Thank you for your advise.

B. Rgds

Leea

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Hi Leea,

In the Amsterdam forum you will find 'Top questions' at the top right of the page answering a lot of your questions. Where to stay, what to do, how to get from airport into the city etc.

This is the city's official tourist info website full of useful advice, what to see and do, info about restaurants and bars and nightlife, festivals, and some itinerary suggestions. www.iamsterdam.com

Read some existing posts in the Amsterdam / The Netherlands forum. Also post your question in that forum. But try to be more specific... How many days do you want to spend in Amsterdam, or other cities? What kind of answers are you looking for?

If you want recommendations for accommodation, state a budget per night. That is a very popular period so better start booking soon.

I think it would also be good to borrow or buy a Lonely Planet Europe guidebook so that you can research highlights in other countries, and how to get there.

I would skip Luxembourg. But Paris for example is very feasible, about 3 hours 20 minutes by Thalys high speed train, but you will have to buy the ticket quickly or it will only become more expensive. Look at www.seat61.com for train info, and on www.b-europe.com for booking Thalys tickets.

All kinds of options are possible... But it helps if we know what kind of things you are interested in.

Don't try to visit too many places in a short time. But it is easy to do daytrips from Amsterdam to nice cities within 20, 30 or 60 minutes by train for example, and go back in the evening.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl

Edited: 21 October 2015, 15:39
Jakarta, Indonesia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Hi Cecila,

Thank you for your advise. I will check the link you gave it to me.

Do you have any idea which city i have to stay in i want to explore Netherland more ( I plan will stay 5 days in Netherland before move to other countries ).

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Natalia

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,135 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Amsterdam is a great place to stay in the Netherlands, it has many attractions for the visitor such as the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank Huis, as well as many others as you'll find out by reading a guide book, or looking at the tourist website and the Amsterdam forum here on TA.

Many people combine Amsterdam with Bruges or Ghent in Belgium. Other possibilities include Paris and Cologne, which are both easily reached by fast train.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
41,918 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

You should visit Leiden, not far from Amsterdam by train, a fun place even in the winter.

Jakarta, Indonesia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Hi Roj,

I will consider your advise..

Cheers

Leea

Jakarta, Indonesia
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Hi Roj,

I will consider your advise..

Cheers

Leea

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

You really need to look at a guidebook for Europe (if you are going to any country other than the Netherlands) or at least a book about the Netherlands, Some like the Lonely Planet Guides, some prefer the Rough Guides.

Either will help you find the things you most want to see.

Your trip spans Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Depending upon where you are visiting, some or all of these holidays may affect your trip.

When you have decided where you want to go, it would be wise to ask on the relevant forum about that. For example in London public transport comes to a virtual stop on Christmas Day and any visitor there needs to find a way around the problem.

New Years Eve brings special events in many European cities, you may want to ask on the forums about that.

Jakarta, Indonesia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Europe solo trip in Dec 2015

Hi Tilly41 & Teagle,

Thank you for your advice.

I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Natalia