We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

Austin, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

I'm planning on going to Paris for a month. Now, I've found some very small studio's there from $800-$900 a month...I've told a few family members (older, and don't know what airbnb is) who are telling me it's impossible and it must be a scam.

I want to make this a reality, and a studio is fine, am I taking any risks that I'm not aware of right now?

The home owners have reviews, etc. and usually seem legit by all means.

Thank you so much for your help!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,744 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

The London Forum is very good at giving views of what are scams on Airbnb when the links and the prices in the local currency is posted. I don't know if the Paris Forum is equally helpful but it would be worth a try.

Not everything on Airbnb is legit with problems ranging from flats in terrible condition, bait and switch, illegal rentals and non-existent flats. The price you quote does seem a bit on the low side for any place in central Paris. I would not want to stay in the banlieus.

Read reviews (don't consider any place without lots of reviews) and the terms and conditions carefully and ask questions on the Paris Forum, being aware that the person who posts with a rave about the flat you ask about and has never posted before or since on Trip Advisor may be the owner.

I have read about everything for airbnb from thrilled users to people standing on pavements with suitcases and crying small children in front of flats that turned out not to exist,

Edited: 19 October 2015, 12:56
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

I think you;re right to be cautious. Try and check out the place by asking on the Paris forum. In the meantime, I found this thread which discusses the general question of airbnb's there:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k792…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,284 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

Every city/country has different rules/laws about Air BnB.

Please check on the Paris forum to see if it is legal there.

My adult children have used it in many places but as with anything you need to read reviews and check locations and legality.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

I agree with the other suggestions to check the Paris forum.....there has been much discussion there about holiday rentals, and Airbnb in particular...You wont have to look hard to find info about Airbnb on the TripAdvisor Paris forum

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

The Paris forum here isnt that helpful unless you're a masochist in need of abuse!

I would never recommend Air BnB only because they ignore local laws put in place to protect residents. They are operating in NYC in flagrant violation of the law here (we have rules to protect residents, it's not the hotel lobby!).

That said, I did rent a very moderate priced studio through RentParis.com - the one on 5 Rue de Braque. Great location. Various family members including my parents rented it for years so I knew it was legit.

SuitcaseReady.com

Edited: 20 October 2015, 03:41
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

You mean it sounds too cheap to be true? It does to me. Are you sure those are prices for a private apartment, not just a room in a shared apartment? If it's private, it's either fake, or in a terrible area, is my guess.

Whatever you do:

- do not accept a place that has mentions of last-minute cancelations in the reviews.

- do not pay an owner OUTSIDE the safe Airbnb payment system. Even if an e-mail appears to be sent to you by Airbnb, asking for a bank transfer... don't. Scammers make such e-mails. Pay Airbnb through the system they provide on their website (for example by credit card). They will only pass the money on to the landlord AFTER a successful check-in.

Personally I have great experiences renting apartments through that site (after reading the reviews very carefully!) in the Netherlands and Spain. But the horror stories are out there too, usually because people paid money outside the system, or booked apartments without enough good reviews.

As for the unfair competition to hotels, and to locals trying to find rental houses... that is a whole other discussion... and up to you whether you want to weigh that into your decision.

Bonne chance!

Edited: 20 October 2015, 04:43
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

There is a very big air BnB post in the Australian forum, about travel overseas. I stayed in one in Italy and paid for 4 nights before I went, they gave me a different room, to the larger one I had paid for, and there was no breakfast. I had to walk for quite a while to stock up on supplies.You need to check and ask a lot of questions I think.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

@Magpiegirl, despite the name 'airbnb' breakfast is never included. Unless otherwise stated.

You should have contacted the Airbnb organization immediately after discovering the room was not the one you paid for, so that they can help you, for example by not paying the owner the full amount, and giving you back part of the money. They only pass the money on to the owner 24 hours after a successful check-in.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

"As for the unfair competition to hotels, and to locals trying to find rental houses... that is a whole other discussion... and up to you whether you want to weigh that into your decision."

it is a whole other discussion, except for when the visitor arrives to discover the landlord - or co-op board - discovered an apartment is being illegally rented for short term and is turned away at the door. Good luck finding a cheap, last minute room in NYC!

Many NYC buildings have doormen who are paid by the co-op or landlord - not the illegal renters. It is always best to find a legal hotel room. Paris is also cracking down on these apartment rentals that drive the citizens who make the city what it is, out.

Edited: 21 October 2015, 02:16
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,161 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb's in Paris? Should I be weary?

I use airbnb a lot, and used it in Paris this summer for a 1br in a prime location. I think I paid about $800 for 4 nights. So, if you're looking at a studio or shared place, or it's not prime tourist season, or the location isn't in the middle of the tourist areas, that price doesn't seem unreasonably cheap to me. I'd check the reviews closely, and look at the profiles of the people who submitted the reviews. Check the neighborhood on Google Street view. Correspond with the owner to get a feel for how responsive he is. I've never had an apartment that wasn't as promised.