We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female Solo Travel

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Female Solo Travel

Hi,

I am planning my first trip to Europe for a week in October. I did some research and I am looking towards Lisbon or Ireland. I'm struck on where to go. I want to go somewhere that there is tons to see and do. Most importantly, I am looking for somewhere that is safe. Any feedback would be great!!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female Solo Travel

Hello!

Lisbon in a city. Ireland in a country. You have only a week. Pick a city.

Here is the specific destination forum for Lisbon

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g189158-i203-Lisbo…

On the right hand side there are Top Questions. Above the forum there is a search box, put key words such as "Solo trip" or "Safety" . On the Green bar at top of page you will see a "Things to Do" tab. there are 457 attractions/activities listed right now. I think those are more that enough to fit several weeks, not just your one week.

Have Fun!

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Female Solo Travel

Hi,

I meant to say Dublin, Ireland. Thanks for the suggestion

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female Solo Travel

Check the weather for Dublin in October. Does it matter? I think Dublin for an entire week might be long, but that is only based on research, not fact. There are trains elsewhere, but if you are one more inclined to drive, are you good driving opposite side of the road? Portugal drives on 'our' side of the road, but is not recommended for Lisbon. Again, trains for out of city excursions. Either would work. Maybe determine ease of flight and take which ever one is simplest. From Toronto, I know Dublin can be done direct, and I expect Lisbon as well. Consider a short let apartment instead of a hotel in either place.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,064 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female Solo Travel

Ireland can be beautiful in October with the trees and moors changing colour. It is a very safe country to get around with spectacular scenery. It has a good public transport system. They speak the same language. It could be warm or cool, will possibily rain ie Irish mist........Days are getting shorter especially by the 3rd week when the clocks go back an hour.

Lisbon being a city will take less planning. I don't know a lot about it but I do know that a lot of people love Portugal, it will be warmer and brighter.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,250 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female Solo Travel

Dublin and Lisbon are both lovely cities, with excellent transport systems, and lots to see and do.

For October, Lisbon will not only have the better weather, but "in country" costs are lower. But, being Atlantic facing, you should still expect some rain, but being much warmer than Dublin, you certainly wouldn't need any heavy layers. The wine, port and sherry is much better in Lisbon too!

Dublin is a smaller city than Lisbon, and a week will be more than enough time to cover it, but you can get some good value day tours/trains to the surrounding coast and countryside. Powerscourt Gardens in particular is stunning and well worth a visit. Dublin also has excellent literary pub crawls, which again can be booked locally, and are a great way if visiting some of the favourite haunts of Irish writers, but with company. company.

The local destination forums can give you more information about current local costs, and reviews of accommodation, restaurants and things to do.

Edited: 19 August 2015, 23:10
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,250 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female Solo Travel

Timed out before I could edit, so apologies for the typo's!

7. Re: Female Solo Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2016, 09:47