We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

Hi there,

I'm coming up dry on destinations for a solo vacation in early September, and I'm hoping for some ideas! I'm looking for a place where I can relax on a sandy (not rocky) beach and read a book for hours and splash around in some warm water, with easy access to facilities should I get hungry or need a bathroom (i.e. ideally my hotel would be on the beach itself). At the same time, I'd like the option to go to museums, see historical sights like old church or castles or ruins, and go out for delicious dinners. I'd rather have those excursions nearby so I can do them for just part of the day (i.e. not have to take many-hours-long train/bus rides or stay overnight elsewhere).

I'm an early-30s female solo traveler from New York. I'm much more into relaxation and culture, and don't care for nightlife/bars or adventure sports. I only have 9 or so days and so ideally my transit wouldn't require too many transfers (being on the go the whole time would defeat the purpose of a relaxing getaway!). And though I'm adventurous and live in a big city, I'd like to feel reasonably safe and not be harassed too much.

Any ideas for destinations would be greatly appreciated!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,257 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

Barcelona has everything you are looking for!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,199 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

I agree with Barcelona - and in case you wanted a couple bars/clubs, they are there, too!!

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

@bk_t1 and @Riff M: From what I've googled, Barcelona beaches seem insanely crowded and not conducive to chilled out relaxation (I'm looking for read-a-book chilling, not have-a-drink chilling). Is this just a misperception?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,199 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

Barcelona is a series of beaches strung in a row - some are crowded, some are way less crowded - you can walk them or just hang at one. I view it all as a "me" beach area.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,257 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

You can also take a quick train ride from Barcelona up or down the coast to other cities with beaches. The beaches are wide and large and I imagine that you could find a spot to chill.

The good thing is that since it is also a lovely city all the other things on your "to see" list are also right there in town. NO need to travel far to find them.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

@Riff M and @bk_t1: Good to know. I'm hoping to find a hotel right at the beach I'd be spending time on--i.e. be able to walk right out the door and onto the sand. It's hard to figure out which beaches are best for the chilled out vibe. Do you have any specific recommendations as to which beach you like best, whether in Barcelona proper or just outside?

Thanks for the great advice!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,257 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

I'd go to the Barcelona forum and start asking questions. Not sure there are hotels right on the beach like in Miami. It is a wonderful city though and if beach is really your first priority then maybe one of the smaller towns up/down the coast would be better.

I love Barcelona for what the city offers but since it also has beach I thought it would be interesting for you. Perhaps not??

The Yucatan peninsula in Mexico is closer , has great beaches and some historical ruins etc. That may be more "chill" for you.You'd fly into Cancun and then go south to some of the smaller towns.

Edited: 07 July 2015, 00:13
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,199 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

I stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar - it's a little further north - it was no more than 3 minutes walk to the nearest beach right outside the door. Take a look at it. There was a W, I think, that was closer into the touristy area, as well.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

Your perfect holiday sounds like my perfect holiday too! Please let us know where you decide to go! K :)

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,516 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach + Sightseeing Destination in September

The Costa Brave coast north of Barcelona has some outstanding beaches and resort towns of varying sizes, and my own favourite is Estartit. There are some lovely places to visit for a "culture" hit, and the Dali museum in Figueres is an absolute knock out. It may be worth considering a few days in Barcelona, and then moving to a coastal town.

But... Riff M has also made a valid suggestion of the Yucatan coast. I went to Playa Del Carmen in June, and combined it with a 3 day trip inland to Valladolid, and felt I had the best of both worlds ( actually.. I preferred Valladolid, but it doesn't have a beach).

As the Euro is such good value against the US dollar, this would be an ideal year to visit Europe,.... but as flights to Cancun are much shorter you could squeeze more holiday into your limited time.

Another idea... again Europe, but Lisbon and the Portugese coast would be a very good mix too. Still very good weather, glorious beaches, delicious food, and some of the best wine in Europe... kept at home by those canny Portugese folks!