We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Solo Traveler

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
237 posts
123 reviews
First Time Solo Traveler

Hello Everyone,

I am 18 years old and thinking about embarking on a solo trip to Europe for the first time for me in October this year with 3 choices of cities; Luxembourg, Salzburg or Malta. What do you recommend ? Thank you !

Ramadan Kareem,

H

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,240 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

You should go where YOU want to go - rather than rely on a bunch of random strangers to make the decision for you. What do you like to see and do? Why did you choose these 3 cities? Pick the place that suits you. By the way, make sure to visit the local forums to learn more and find Things to Do.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
237 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

Being a first timer, I have no expectations what so ever, hence I posted here (not because I want "strangers" to choose where I want to travel.......) Anyway, I picked these cities because they're on my bucket list, plus it's a 3 day city break so I don't want something very big that I won't be able to tour on this short hop. I'm a foodie so if they have good street food/food markets, that's a big plus. Also, I love architecture, nature and aviation not to mention of course socializing. If you have experience in one of these three cities, or have some sort of advice for me being a first timer, I appreciate it. Thanks anyways.

H

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,752 posts
476 reviews
3. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

Personally, if it were me, I'd go for Salzburg. Malta is an island that deserves more than three days, and I've never been to Luxembourg, but I'm not aware of anything that would particularly interest me there.

I'm intrigued why you have discarded other cities, like Prague, Florence, Naples, and Amsterdam, though. I'd consider those places pretty good for a three day break.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
237 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

Thank you for your post !

I actually considered Florence, but the airline ticket is very expensive and not feasible. As for Naples, Prague and Amsterdam, some family members adviced me not to go there on my own (at least for the first time) along with other cities in Europe due to safety reasons. I think I'm leaning towards Salzburg and as for Malta, I thought exactly what you said, it deserves more than 3 days.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

What 'safety reasons'? 'Naples, Prague and Amsterdam... along with other cities in Europe...'? I think someone is telling some funny tales.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
237 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

Naples; mafia and such

Amsterdam; drug addicts

Prague; filled with tourist scams

I apologize if I insulted other and for the stereotypes

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
7. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

"Amsterdam; drug addicts"

hahahahahaha :-)))

The stereotyping is along the same lines as: "the Middle East.... woooooh big scary place full of IS warriors".

We have a lower percentage of drug addicts than most countries, THANKS TO our drug policy. But people find that hard to believe and understand. You can read all about it here. https:/…Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

And about safety in Amsterdam here... one of the safest capitals in the world: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188553-c198229/The-N…

But I don't mind if you don't come over, it is sooooo crowded already with people who did some research and discovered it is a beautiful historical city :-)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl/

Edited: 23 June 2015, 03:09
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
8. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

Okay 5th safest city out of 50 cities worldwide. iamexpat.nl/read-and-discuss/expat-page/news…

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
237 posts
123 reviews
9. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

Dear Cecile74,

Please know that I love Amsterdam and I am actually planning to visit it this summer with my brother :) (the solo trip is in October) and that I really understand the stereotyping thing ;) but since I'm still not really and adult, my parents still have jurisdiction over me and hence can deprive me from visiting the countries (and others) listed above. Again sorry for subjecting your country (and others) to that stereotype :/

Edited: 23 June 2015, 05:02
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
10. Re: First Time Solo Traveler

Amsterdam is a beautiful city. I am glad you will get a chance to visit this summer.

The main thing you need to be aware of in Amsterdam is not walking along the bike lanes. The cyclists won't be happy to have to slow down for people who are walking in the wrong spot.