We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

Hi

I'm looking to travel to the east coast late July/ early Aug alone. Will have 15-20days to spare. Am planning to spend 4-5days in NY, 2-3days in Boston and 1-2 days in Washington. Is there any other places to recommend? Am also open to flying over to Toronto/Vancouver for the last few days. And given that I will be alone, will transport be an issue, since I will most likely prefer to avoid cross ctry driving.

Hope to hear your thoughts :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

There is good rail transport between NYC, Boston and Washington and you shouldn't have any problem getting around on public transportation and Thor occasional taxi in any of those places.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

Thank you for the prompt response! besides these three places, is there any other places in the east coast worth visiting?

It's a long way from Singapore, hope to visit as many places as possible :)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

Hi what are your interests? City/ countryside/ food/ culture/ history etc? Since you have all metropolitan areas on your list maybe you'd be interested in taking a day trip out to some smaller towns for a change of pace. There are some nice historic towns like Concord or Salem that you could get to by train. If you go to the Boston forum there is a good top questions article on that. Same with the New York or dc forums I'm sure.

Edited: 06 June 2015, 19:11
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

In the same area Philadelphia worth a visit (3 days to see the main things).

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,306 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

Also, a drive up the coast to Maine would be nice. There are more places to see than you'll have time to visit so you'll just have to pick what appeals to you much.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,975 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

I would take longer in Washington DC as I love the range of museums there.

I haven't been to Toronto although I have heard good things about it.

Vancouver is on the west coast of Canada and could be a stop on your way home, but it would be a long way to go and then come back.

There are trains that run all down the east coast of America and it could be worth taking one further

http://www.seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm#New York to Florida

This shows no stops between DC and Jacksonville, Florida, but there may be others that stop in place like Charlotte or Savannah, both of which can be managed without a car and have lots of charm.

www.seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm#.VXQkCs9Viko

This would be especially attractive if you had an open jaw flight into Boston and out of Miami.

7. Re: Travelling Solo to East Coast US - any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2016, 09:46