We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

Perth
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
15 reviews
Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

Most cities i visit i do know some people, others i dont

I'm a pretty social person but not super Mr Social. I am in my early 30s so not too old but not a teenager anymore. I stay in 4 or 5 star hotels, i'm past the backpacking stage.

Usually i just go to a local bar or pub and get chatting to people.

But in this day and age with technology, there are other options.

Often, i'm not looking to 'pick up' as such, i just want someone of the opposite sex to go out to dinner with. Dining at nice restaurants around the world is an important aspect of travel for me.

For an upcoming trip, i am going to use meetup.com to go to some group activities to meet people

Also thinking about using rentafriend to get someone to go to dinner with

any other suggestions ?

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

Hello Peterpack,

I think meetup is great (I have used it in my own city). Otherwise may be tinder?

Alternatively in many restaurants you could have dinner at the bar, it gives opportunities to chat with people.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

I do a fair number of meetups in my local area (and it would not be strange to have visitors show up). You might look into foodie/dining meetups. I'm not a foodie, but I have seen some groups. Others on this forum have suggested couchsurfing.org for meeting people.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
14 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

Hi, meetup is a great way to meet people in a new city! I've also used Tinder for friends - as odd as that may sound! Just be clear about your expectations so you're both on the same page.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

What about food tasting tours? I feel like they are a more social experience than other types of short couple-of-hours tours because by their nature you spend a lot of time standing in a circle sharing and passing food around.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

Food tasting tours is a good suggestion. I chatted up a bunch of people at a cheese tasting tour in Amsterdam.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

thanks everyone :)

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,637 posts
141 reviews
7. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

Two other foodie with people websites are

www.bookalokal.com

www.eatwith.com

Perth
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

thanks mcpinder ! great sites

9. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 15:35
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,895 posts
476 reviews
10. Re: Strategies to Meet people in New Cities

Post 9 reported as advertising and solicitation.

Edited: 08 June 2015, 15:27