We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

Hello!

I've been contemplating on a solo trip for quite a while and would like to make a start in June this year. So this would be my first solo trip. My ideal trip would be one where I can relax and chill out in cafes (I'm not adventurous nor into sports!), do some people watching and have nice strolls in the streets to enjoy the culture and scenary.

I'm intending to spend 1-1.5 weeks for this trip and have a budget of 1,500 USD to spare (inclusive of air fare possible?). Any recommendations on where would be a nice place to visit this June?

Recently one of my girlfriends who's travelling solo to Scandinavia in June this year has extended a nice invitation for me to join her. She suggested that we can both be on solo trips separately but maybe spend 2-3 days together in Copenhegen, then part ways to do our own exploration there.

I'm still considering this trip but a rough research tells me it might be possibly out of my budget!

Though Scandinavian countries are good for introverts (like myself) and it also seems to fulfill most of my objectives earlier.

Nonetheless, I'm thinking of travelling first to Denmark (Copenhegen) then to Sweden (Stockholm) and will probably be spending 4 days each in each country. Can I still keep it within budget? Or is it better that I visit somewhere else instead? Note also this will be my first trip out of Asia! :)

Any advice welcomed!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

I'm afraid that the flights might take a good part of your budget and cafes in Scandinavia would take the rest.

It is not that Denmark and Sweden are not wonderful, just that they are not budget destinations.

If you haven't been to Nagasaki in Japan it might suit you very well and the flights would require a much smaller part of your budget.

June is the rainy season in central Japan, but the rain may have come and gone in the more southern Kyushu by your trip.

Nagasaki is a very interesting city with much to see, a great transport system (trams run to much of the central city) and a very relaxed feeling.

Japan is a wonderful place for introverts as the people are very gracious and helpful, but also reserved.

If you wanted to do a bit of travel around Kyushu there are some delightful towns and villages as well as some spa towns like Yufuin that have a lovely setting and wonderful food.

The last time I was wandering around Nagasaki (November 2014) I came across a group of 4 children being taught to play the Taiko drums on a bridge. Another time, in the fantastic Nagasaki museum, there was a lesson in traditional male Japanese song. Nagasaki is given to such serendipity.

There are chains of business hotels (Toyoko Inn for example) that are reliably clean and cheap and delicious food is very affordable. IME, you budget would be enough for a wonderful trip without having to watch every penny.

Japan is also one of the safest places in the world for a woman to travel. (But to be fair, Denmark and Sweden are not dangerous either, just expensive.

Edited: 11 April 2015, 14:47
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

"My ideal trip would be one where I can relax and chill out in cafes (I'm not adventurous nor into sports!), do some people watching and have nice strolls in the streets to enjoy the culture and scenary."

This immediately makes me think of Portugal and Spain (the smaller cities in the south of Spain). Apart from cafes the cities there also have many lovely squares with trees and benches where people just sit and relax, and you can easily spend a full day people-watching (except you'd probably need a toilet at some point ;-)). That comes close to what I did solo in Porto for 8 days: sit at cafes, read my book, people-watch, stroll through markets and flea markets, watch the scenery from tall bridges and in beautiful buildings... did some daytrips to the beach and to other villages...

But I don't know if you could make that work with your budget; that largely depends on what type of accommodation you want. Spain and Portugal are possibly about half the cost of Sweden / Denmark but you'd have to figure out how much a flight costs.

I found private hotel rooms with bathroom and wifi for around €40 per night in Spain. In Portugal I stayed in apartments but those tend to have a 3 day minimum. Staying in shared hostel dorms is obviously a lot cheaper still.

Of course, the more you travel between countries, the more expensive it will get as well.

You can eat cheaply in both those countries if you avoid the most touristy restaurants, and if you eat tapas and small snacks too.

Check out this website for cost indications: www.priceoftravel.com

Edited: 11 April 2015, 15:32
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

For example Copenhagen cost: priceoftravel.com/29/…copenhagen-prices (you can change the display currency on top)

Seville: priceoftravel.com/197/spain/seville-prices

Lisbon: priceoftravel.com/25/portugal/lisbon-prices

See the 'backpacker index' at the top, that might not be the exact amount *you* need per day (because that depends on your spending pattern), but it does help compare daily cost LEVELS per city.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,267 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

Personally, I think your budget is too modest for a trip to Europe. Your airfares, travel insurance and any visa fee's you may have to pay, will take up the bulk of your budget. No matter how carefully you budget for accommodation, food, drink and internal travel, Europe may be one destination too far (for the moment at least). In general you'd need about $60 to $100 a day to cover all your day to day costs.It would be such a shame to travel long haul and then not be able to enjoy yourself once you arrived.

I think Leagle's suggestion for Japan, or indeed SEA may offer you good options for your budget and tastes. .

As Singapore is a major hub airport, you have an exceptionally wide range of destinations available to you. But sometimes this sheer range of choices can be bewildering. I'd suggest checking the departure destinations from Singapore airport's website. This will inform you of both destinations and carriers. Armed with this info, you could then draw up a shortlist of affordable flights and then research those destinations.

As well as Leagle's suggestion of Japan, other potential destinations for solo travellers could include Kerala, Goa, Macau or Thailand?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

I'm back not long ago from a business meeting in Vietnam...I think it might be worth a look. Small villages and towns and lots of immersion with the locals.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

Luang Prabang in Laos is also a GREAT place for sitting in cafes, people-watching, wandering around, visiting temples and markets (food and souvenir markets every day and night), getting cheap massages, and seeing some nearby waterfalls. Luang Prabang has French colonial architecture, many outdoor terraces by the two rivers and in shadowy gardens. Lovely town.

Cecilia

travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Edited: 11 April 2015, 19:35
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

As McPinder said, Singapore is a great hub for flights and you have access to some really inexpensive flights from AirAsia and Tiger Air. I think SE Asia would be the best area to target within your budget; if you get cheap flights you have more to spend on nicer hotels and activities, and able to eat out 2/3 times a day without worrying about budget.

I would look into Cambodia, Vietnam or some of the quieter parts of Thailand. Krabi is quite relaxed in the right areas, and up north around Chiang Mai is also a great relaxing destination with lovely cafes and lots to do - it is a popular backpacker destination so it gives you the option to meet others should you wish to.

Cheers

CG

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

Hi I'm currently on a solo trip to UK, France n Switzerland.

I used an iPad app called Kayak for €630(inc tax) open jaw air tickets.

This app is similar to sky scanner n help u source for discounted fares around the world not just from s'pore.

Book early for your train fares as soon as they are open for bookings as this would help you save.

With your current budget are you looking at staying in hostels with common bathrooms n sometimes sharing with others? Do consider if this is suitable for an introvert like yourself.

Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

Hi Leagle

Would you say it's not difficult to navigate around Japan as a solo female traveller even if you do not read or understand the language?

I was told the road signs would be in Japanese the further you travel from the main cities.

10. Re: Advice needed for a 28 year old female on a solo trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 17:05