We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

I want to take my first ever solo trip this June (mid to late June). I am thinking of the Caribbean or Mexico. I have never been to either. This is the first trip I have ever planned where my entire goal is to relax. I just want to de-stress and will be perfectly happy not leaving the resort at all. For this reason I am thinking it should be all-inclusive. I have listed more info below and would love any suggestions on sites to book through, destinations, and resorts. My main focus has been on Dominican Republic, Cancun, Jamaica, and the Bahamas but I am open to anything that would give me what I want.

About Me:

-single, mid-30s, never traveled alone

-never been to the caribbean or Mexico

-loves nature photography

Travel Style:

-loves to see nature

-loves to be near, on, or in the water but not particularly adventurous

-not too crazy about crowds but I like to people watch

Needs:

-trying to keep the entire trip under $1,000 (including airfare)

-safe for solo travel

-no hassle, the point is to relax

-relatively quick trip (most likely 3 nights) so a non-stop flight from BWI would be ideal

Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

I see that you listed all the non-stops except one. Consider whether Puerto Rico (fly into San Juan) might work for you. AI is not the norm there - the beach scene is built up on parts of the island and other parts, not so much - but there are some places to see nature and people watch - and imo could work. If not, I think maybe Playa del Carmen might work.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

Great suggestion! I hadn't even really considered Puerto Rico. Thanks for the help!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

I think I need a bit f a education.. have you found flight prices and AL's for under $1000.

Ahh maybe the pl;ace to start is non stops from your departure airport. I understand "Google flight search" has a new cool thing.. you can put in your departure airport and then tell it some general area, choose Caribbean and see what kind of prices you are up against.

It maybe a package deal with AI would be the way to go.

From Google Flight Search ~ How To:

Exploring where to go on vacation?

Suppose you want to know where you can fly from San Francisco next weekend, non-stop on your favorite airline, leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday afternoon, and for under $500. Enter your departure city, date information, and other requirements, and the map will indicate the destination cities that meet your needs with a solid red dot. Just hover over those cities to see the cheapest available flight for that route. Learn about advanced search tools to compare flight options for multiple destinations.

https://support.google.com/flights/?hl=en

Happy hunting!

I should have bought stock in Google years ago. :0)

Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

Not sure if this would be the right fit for you, but take a look at Isla Mujeres which is a 20 minute ferry ride off the coast of Cancun. I was there, solo, last July for a long weekend and two different days went out on a boat to snorkel with whale sharks (very docile creatures that are skimming the surface at that time of year for krill). My first afternoon and another day just lolled on the beautiful beach. I didn't do AI, but lots of hotels to choose from and lots of restaurants. I think this would fit your budget as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

I've traveled to Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Mexico(Cancun) and stayed in AI's--although I didnt travel alone to these destinations. I booked through cheapcarribean.com. If you use them--make sure you call to book since the prices over the phone are always cheaper than whats on the website. Out of the 3 I would suggest Mexico--I think it fits what you are looking for. I am traveling solo to Puerto Rico in 3 weeks--first solo trip! I am staying in a 1 bedroom apt. that I booked through airbnb. Its 2 blocks from the beach, in a great neighborhood and half the price of the boutique hotel I originally booked! Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited: 13 April 2015, 06:59
6. Re: Suggestions for Solo Trip to Caribbean or Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2016, 09:45