We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

I've just retired and decided to travel alone for 2-3 weeks to "wash out" all stress, clear up my mind and think about the new wonderful period of my life.

What I am looking for?

1. BEACH, a long beautiful beach!

2. Quiet hotel with a kitchen or an all inclusive resort.

3. For 2-3 weeks I would like to be unplugged: no phone, no computer, no car, no communications, no new acquaintances.

4. I prefer short flights: no more than 4-5 hours.

5. Some place good to visit around April or May.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thank you!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

You really don't share many interests...I guess I can think of a few places - maybe Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, San Juan, Puerto Rico....Unlimited budget?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Thank you very much for your reply,BK, but I've been in all these places and they don't look relaxing or quiet for me , just opposite: very crowded, commercial and noisy. I think it's my fault: probably, I didn't express my wishes properly.

Myerstown...
Level Contributor
371 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Take a look at Las Terrenas in the Samana Province of the DR. I stayed at Villa Eva Luna and my room had a kitchen. Breakfast comes with the price of the room. I don't recall seeing a TV, but they did have wifi which is more important to me. Just keep your devices turned off! This is a small property with a lovely pool to relax and read books beside. It is a short walk to the beach where there are loungers for your free use (and more book reading). The snorkeling was OK. It was about a half hour walk into town where there are restaurants and shops. I didn't think it was crowded and I went in February. Some topless sunbathers and speedo wearing men should you find this bothersome.

JetBlue has direct flights from JFK to El Catey within your time frame. I did not rent a car. Aude at Eva Luna arranged a taxi to/from the airport and also some tours. The beach is loooooooooooong with gorgeous sunset views. Check it out and see what you think. Looks like all of your boxes and checked!

Mosslady

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Dear Mosslady,

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. I saw the pictures and red reviews about Villa Eva Luna. Oh, I'll definitely include this condo in my travel list.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,366 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Bermuda? Congrats on your retirement!!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Thank you CapeCodCharly.

I visited Bermuda twice and really enjoyed both visits. But... I am going to travel on April-May and the ocean water is cold at that time in Bermuda: it is perfect on September! I am an avid swimmer, love to spend hours in the ocean and prefer the warm ( really warm!) water.

Best regards.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

I'm headed for a solo trip to the DR, Punta Cana. I'll let you know how it goes, but I read that the the beaches are vast and if you wander off the resort, secluded. I'm young, 31, but I hate crowds and tourist traps too :)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Hi, Lizzie,

I've been in Punta Cana more than 10 times, but always with my husband or family and always in all inclusive resorts. My favorite area is Arena Gorda, but I like Bavaro and Macao, as well. If you need any information about Punta Cana I'll gladly share it with you.

It would be very interesting for me to hear the opinion about your solo adventure to PC.

Have a wonderful trip!

Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Check out Eleuthera, one of the Bahamian out islands. We've rented a house there before (Finiterre) through VRBO and although that house is likely too large for you, there are smaller homes/studios directly on the pink sand beach. Miles of beach, beautiful water, some snorkeling and pleasant island to explore. Not crowded, commercial, or noisy. We were there in March and although the water was a little chilly, it didn't stop me and the kids. April and May should be even warmer.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Relaxing trip for a solo beach walker and swimmer.

Thank you, FLGirlie.

Could you recommend any hotels?