We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

London, England...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Hello,

I would really like to go to Washington DC and see all the wonderful things they have to offer - the main tourist attractions, the museums, learn all about the history etc.

But none of my friends fancy it! :-(

Does anyone know any good, reliable well known companies that offer holidays for solo travellers? A solo holiday would be totally outside of my comfort zone but I am making enquiries as I've wanted to see Washington for many years now.

I'm female, currently aged 33 so any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Hello!

Washington, D.C. Would be a great solo destination for you! There is so much to see and do and it is s very walkable city. Most of the museums are free to get into with the exception of a few. While I can't advise you about tours, I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the city itself.

When were you thinking about going?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,541 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Alison,.....It is so easy to put your own package together, that a tour operator isn't really needed.

You could simply book your own flights and hotels directly via the web. You'll probably have better prices, more choice of times and airlines by flying via one of the NYC airports, and then take a train to Washington DC.

Edited: 16 February 2015, 04:48
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
730 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Washington, DC is a very easy city to visit on your own! Check non-stop flights to Dulles (IAD), and visit the Washington DC forum on this site for lots of information and assistance. Welcome, and enjoy your trip.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
6,438 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Definitely DIY for DC. The Smithsonian museums have very good websites with pdf layouts you can download and study prior to your trip. Lots of monuments as well, none of which really require a tour to guide you around. Transportation via the metro is also quite simple and straight forward. In the end, great destination choice for solo travel.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,263 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Yes, it's so easy to do it yourself Alison. The only reason you need to consider a package is if you want to travel with others, which isn't really solo travel at all. If you're in a group there may also be people you don't get on that well with, so it can be a bit of a double edged sword anyway.

Try DIY, you might love it and never look back!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

I'm planning on a solo trip there as well next month for 3-5 days and am looking for ANY suggestions which would be the best area to stay in.....any thoughts?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
6,438 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Hello Andee33180,

Probably best to research directly on the Washington DE forums. Some solid volunteers supporting that forum who can point you in the right direction. Here is a link if helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28970-i40-Washing…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,324 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

@ Andee33180,

May I suggest opening a new thread on The Washington, D.C. Travel Forum?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28970-i40-Washing…

100 Free & Almost free things to do.......

washington.org/100-free-and-almost-free-thin…

Best Cheap Eats

seriouseats.com/2014/04/washington-dc-best-c…

Washington D.C. Transportation

…about.com/od/…DCPublicTrans.htm

http://www.wmata.com/

I hope this info helps.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Thank you so much! I'm going to start planning today!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo travel to Washington DC - USA

Thank you!