We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

I took a week off without planning anything for the week of 24 November (there is a reason for this), but I don't know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

I like:

- Anything different/culturally interesting

- Photography

- Classical music abroad

- Trains / planes

- Adventure

Dislike:

- Parties/beaches/tourist heavy places

Would prefer fairly low cost and low maintenance.

Note I don't have a GF, and my friends can't take days off in that same period, so I would be going solo

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

budget?

location?

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

Budget around £4-500

I live in london :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

If that includes transport and accommodation you're probably going to have to stick to the UK,

or go to eastern Europe or Spain / Portugal which are cheaper. Unless you're willing to sleep in hostel dorm rooms or go couchsurfing.

I really love Andalucia myself, Seville is a great city with mellow vibe, good food, lots of moor influences making for beautiful palaces and such. And you can combine it with other cities or villages (depending on means of transport).

Or perhaps Madrid + Cuenca + Valencia, flying open jaw (London - Madrid and Valencia - London, or vice versa) and doing the rest by train. See www.skyscanner.com for cheap flights.

Berlin also has plenty to offer for a full week. Loads and loads of history from all ages, good museums, nice markets, international and cheap restaurants, lots of art, funky shops.

Of course Amsterdam is also fun but a lot more expensive for accommodation and food.

Edited: 16 November 2014, 19:14
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,052 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

Lol I'm coming up to London to see the city at Christmas.

Its not a bad time to plan last minute as few people do it. Go to a travel agent and see what they have for last minute deals. Go somewhere in the UK/Ireland to explore. Some wonderful opportunities for photography here with the mists and sun.

I've seen a lot of people doing Exmoor and parts of the South West Way from here to N Devon. Glorious for photography and cosy fires in friendly pubs. Of course for adventure I think they are still doing Coasteering and some surfing going on.

The Scottish west coast with all the little islands to visit sould be great for photography too.

Morrocco and Tunisia are cheap now and some deals for Egypt.

Edited: 16 November 2014, 21:25
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

At £500 your budget is modest, but you can still get a trip under your belt.

Certainly in the UK as you won't have airfares, but you might still be able to use a low cost carrrier for a short break. Particularly to those destinations that have low "in country" costs. Lisbon, Warsaw, Athens, Dubrovnik, Budapest, possibly Prague, Malta, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia. You may not be able to afford a full weeks accommodation in all of these destinations, but you may be able to get 3 or 4 days at least.

I'd also suggest looking at the air fares for some of the "legacy" carriers too, ( Air France, BA, Lufthansa, KLM) as sometimes their schedule can give you a three night but 4 day trip trip that is cheaper for last minute week end flights than Easyjet and Ryanair.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
6,437 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

This seems rather late in the game to find good priced flights and with that low a budget, your options will be limited. Might be worth having a look at www.lastminute.co.uk to see if they have any sort of city-break type trips available. If you up you budget or cut your trip down to 3-4 days your options will become more interesting.

Another option , sort of fun to consider as well , would be to check out the LLCs and traditional carriers that mcpinder has mentioned , find a cheap flight somewhere and just book it. Go there with a mind to explore and learn about the place. See where life takes you for a week and just enjoy yourself.

Good luck with your research and happy travels.

7. Re: I have a week off late November - what do I do :S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 11:46