We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single guy needs to get away

USA
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Single guy needs to get away

Looking to get away for a long weekend (5 days or so), Jan/Feb 2015. I'm 51, extremely active, into adventure travel (scuba, cliff diving, sailing, etc, etc).

Was thinking about maybe Jamaica or Dominican Republic, but I'm open to almost anything. Traveling from east coast, so I'd like to minimize air travel time.

Any suggestions on resorts that cater to singles? No kids, families.

Thanks very much!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single guy needs to get away

The Club Med on Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos might suit you. There are no children allowed and the reviews seem to indicate lots of 30, 40 and 50 somethings.

I have been to Grace Bay, which is one of the loveliest beaches I have ever seen. I stayed at the Sands because I wanted a solo break before meeting up with my daughter in Belize, but I have seen lots of good things about the Club Med on the Providenciales Forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g147399-i213-Pro…

The general feed back indicates that the rooms are not luxurious but there is lots to do, lots of friendly people and good food. The diving is good too.

I rented a car from Grace Bay Rentals because I wanted to explore the island and I am used to driving on the left. I did spend a certain amount of time dodging North Americans who were not used to driving on the left.

I believe a car would not be necessary if you were staying at the Club Med.

Provo does not have a big club scene, but the Club Med has it all on site.

The downside of Jamaica is that the resorts are pretty "enclosed" and wandering about is not encouraged for reasons of safety.

I don't know what the situation is in the Dominica Republic.

Belize is a favourite destination of mine with lots to do, some great diving, rain forests, Mayan temple and whale sharks in the spring. Ambergris Caye has a great beach bar and restaurant scene.

I really liked Placencia (which feels a bit more "local") as well, but as you leave the area near the town of Placencia, there are lots of AI resorts which are USA-on-sea.

Edited: 29 September 2014, 21:47
USA
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single guy needs to get away

Thanks so much for your input. I'll look into Club Med and see what they're offering.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,267 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single guy needs to get away

How about the Yucatan region of Mexico. Although plenty of AL's along the coast, there is also a good mixture of non AI hotels, which tend to be favoured by adults and solo's. And plenty of diving opportunities, especially in Cozomel.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single guy needs to get away

I loved Nicaragua. You can board down one of the many volcanoes, surf, kayak, climb volcanoes, jump off the top of a canyon into a river, etc. The cities are vibrant with lots of music and markets. January is a good time (not sure about February, you can look that up).

I don't know of any resorts, not my scene... but who knows they may be there. There are hotels in all catagories, and for example one of the tiny islands near Granada also has a hotel on it.

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
616 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single guy needs to get away

Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico (Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel).

Mayan ruins, diving, beaches and more diving.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single guy needs to get away

Look at Bayahibe, Dominican Republic. Great place to stay, nice small town with all the things you need.

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
214 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single guy needs to get away

its a long trip, but Sydney. Do the bridge climb, swim with sharks, surf, climb big rocks, drink wine. i loved it, its coming into their summer and the beaches are glorious.

g'day!

vast

8. Re: Single guy needs to get away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2015, 09:46