We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

I've traveled alot alone but only U.S. cities and the trips i've done internationally, have been with groups. I would like to go to Mexico or somewhere in the caribbean for about a week, however, I'm not sure what to expect going to another country alone. Would anyone have any suggestions of places that are safe for a female, mid-20s, grad student? I was thinking of cancun, cabo san lucas or the Bahamas, but I'm skeptical that I might not enjoy myself alone and safety. The only thing I would like to do on the trip is sight-see, enjoy the beach, shop a little and if possible venture to a bar or club. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank You :-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,276 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

When are you planning to travel? This matters, because some places might be warmer/cooler than others, particularly in the winter months. The 3 destinations you've list above are all what I would call "beach" destinations - sure there are a few things to see, for instance Mayan ruins, but not much more imo. I'd consider adding a couple places like San Juan, Puerto Rico or Costa Rica - if you wanted to do some more exploring and adventure. Also, if you can find the right kind of deal, you might also consider a Caribbean cruise where you can see a few different locations through shore excursions - and put them on the list for a return trip.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,053 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

I really like Belize, but disliked the main island in the Bahamas, which seemed geared to the cruise ships.

The Bahamas have similar weather to Florida, which means that in winter, it is not all that warm.

Belize has rain forests, beaches, Mayan ruins and great diving/snokelling.

Culturally Belize is part of the Caribbean, although geographically, it is in Central America.

It also has a lively English speaking culture of its own and, except for Belize City, safety is not more of an issue that in Brooklyn, possibly less.

And there is some great music.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 21:49
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

Cabo and Cancun are "international" only in the sense that they are geographically located in another country. There is nothing particularly exotic about either of them. For some people, that's a plus. For some people, that's a negative. That's just the way it is.

I hear mixed opinions on The Bahamas. I have friends who did not care for The Bahamas (or worse), and I have friends who think it is the most wonderful paradise-on-earth they could ever imagine visiting.

If you want to go to a warm beach in the Caribbean or Mexico, and you're concerned about personal safety (an intelligent concern given the world we live in), but you want to enjoy a little nightlife, you probably are a good candidate for an all-inclusive resort. Pick one with the affordability, atmosphere and amenities you want and go there, rather than focusing on country. And by atmosphere, pick one that is more singles-oriented, rather than targeted at couples and families. Many will come out and say in their marketing materials.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

I'll throw in another vote for Belize. I traveled there for 10 days a few years ago - and it was my first "real" solo vacation. Like Leagle said, there's a good mix of things to do there for sightseeing and relaxing. And if you get lonely, there are plenty of group trips you can join to snorkel or see the ruins and make new friends. I didn't have any safety issues although I was warned to be cautious walking around by myself at night. And I did get a little more attention on the public buses or the beach if I was sitting alone, but it was harmless banter.

Happy planning!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

Thanks for your responses! I plan to travel early June. I have been to Puerto Rico, did'nt like it. Loved Costa Rica, but I would like to go somewhere new.

Belize sounds like a great idea, I have a few friends from there and will consult them. The all inclusive sounds more of what I'd like to stick with. Maybe I can find one in Belize.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your suggestions :)

6. Re: Where is a good int'l destination for a female traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 09:46
Get answers to your questions