We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time cruise and first solo holiday

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time cruise and first solo holiday

I am a middle-aged happily married lady. I have chosen to take a 7 day cruise to the Norwegian Fjords on my own (husband of many years doesn't want to take a cruise holiday).

I am quite happy and looking forward to going it alone and would appreciate hints / tips from someone of similar age and marital status who has experienced solo cruising.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,363 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time cruise and first solo holiday

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I have not done this alone but if you tell me what cruise line you are using I can give you a link to more info about your specific cruise.

Cruise Critic is a sister site to this one that is just about cruising and on that site you can talk to people who may be aboard the same ship/cruise that you will be on.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,044 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time cruise and first solo holiday

There are a number of married ladies who do trips on their own because their partner isn't keen. You are not alone.

Cruises aren't my thing but I have friends who go alone including the one you are going on and they enjoy it.

I've been on a boat on the Amazon and in the Maldives. It's the perfect combination of company and the opportunity for a bit of independence.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time cruise and first solo holiday

One useful tip from the Air Travel forum: if you need to fly to reach the departure port of the cruise, plan to arrive one day before so that flight delays or cancellations won't make you miss the boat.

4. Re: First time cruise and first solo holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 11:51