We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North American Trip

San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Topic
North American Trip

I'm looking to make a 9 day trip to the East Coast and maybe Canada. I want to hit NYC for sure for 5 days, DC for 2 days.

Any ideas where I should go for the last 2 days? I'm narrowing it down to Boston, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, or another 2 days in NYC. Am I fitting too much into this trip? I know 2 days might not be enough, but I'd love to see 3 different cities on this trip.

I live in California, and I'm looking to go in early summer (May to early July). Maybe leave June 27th and come back July 7th, it would be great to spend 4th of July in one of these great cities. It would be great to hear tips or advice! Also, any tips on flights or how early I should book tickets? Thanks in advance!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North American Trip

Hi

Maybe Boston. That's a wonderful city and easily can be reached by train. Or try Philly. Your time for DC really is a bit short though. 5 days NY and 4 days DC plus a day to travel between them.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,201 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North American Trip

Luis: I would let what I wanted to see dictate the time I wanted to spend in each location. But, that's my personal travel style. I know others who prefer to immerse themselves in a location and meet locals, get a deeper dive into foodie destinations, and get a better feel for culture. There is no right answer, but my "Things To Do" list dictate. As for a 3rd city, what would you like to see and to? What is your travel style? For me, I thoroughly enjoy Montreal; it's different in it's balance of new and old. But, I've also been to Chicago, Boston, Toronto and Philly more times than I can remember (mainly for work). If the to-do lists looked balanced, I'd consider 3-3-3 and pick a 3rd spot in the east, rather than Chicago, just for transit reasons.

San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North American Trip

Going to Chicago or Toronto wouldn't be an issue since it would it's between the east coast and California, where I live. I don't really want to out Philly on my list.

I might do 5-6 days in NYC and 3 days in DC, maybe a day trip near one of those 2 cities. I'm still indecisive lol, but again the advice is appreciated!

Any advice on how early I should book flights?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North American Trip

Maybe try www.southwest.com Flights only show on their website.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,201 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North American Trip

I agree to keep an eye out for Southwest on air, but also make sure to check train schedules.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North American Trip

Of those choices I enjoy Boston the most. The Freedom Trail is so interesting, the food is awesome, and the city is just so pretty. Philadelphia is nice but Boston is one of my favorites. Also I prefer Montreal over Toronto. Both pretty cities but Montreal is more of a cultural and architectural departure from the typical US city. Toronto has a pretty setting but to me doesn't feel much different from a large US city like Chicago.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North American Trip

If you are traveling to New York and Washington, D.C., two places that make the most geographic sense, as far as a third destination, would be either Philadelphia or Baltimore. You would be able to do Amtrak to tie those into your New York to Washington trip. Either place is well worth a couple of days to explore, see the sights, eat the food.

You can't go wrong with adding Montreal to your itinerary. With its overlay of French culture, it's not like any other major city in the US or Canada. Of course, if you added Montreal as your third destination, you are going to have to fly between the three places, as Montreal would be too far for surface transportation.

Toronto used to be an incredible place to visit. It's been a long time since I've been there, but everything I'm hearing tells me it's not really worth the effort any more. It's horribly expensive and everything that gave that city character has been pushed out to make way for generic upscale trendy restaurants and retail. Of course, some people like generic upscale, so who am I to judge?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North American Trip

Most wonderful city in Canada is Quebec City imo.

dayton, ohio
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North American Trip

I agree with Tet14, Quebec City is wonderful! My second choice would be Boston.

10. Re: North American Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 10:47