We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

secure hotel rooms versus single rooms in hostels

London
Level Contributor
404 posts
116 reviews
secure hotel rooms versus single rooms in hostels

Hi,

I am about to take some travels across asia and maybe other locations for a few/number of months, now i havent stayed in hostels since my teens (i am 31 now), and so rather not share rooms

I am still keen to get the social aspect of meeting other travellers but given i am fairly keen also on security i am debating whether i spend time in cheap hotels or hostels. in my experience (mostly europe and some of asia), cheap hotels rarely have areas for guests to sit and chat

i feel my need for security of my belongings is winning at the moment, but i really want to meet others

any thoughts / comments would be most appreciated

Mark

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,867 posts
111 reviews
1. Re: secure hotel rooms versus single rooms in hostels

I have the same issues with some hostels. Have you posted on your destination forums where you intend to visit for advice on which hostels and the facilities? You might come up trumps with some good ones that cover both criteria.

Or you could find a website dedicated to hosteling and be able to ask. I have a neighbour who still goes to hostels in his 60's and loves it even though he has the money to go other. He doesn't do Asia so I can't ask him ;-)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,134 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: secure hotel rooms versus single rooms in hostels

I also have a friend in her 60s who has stayed in hostels.Some of them have private rooms with ensuite baths but you may/may not find these in the countries where you are planning to travel. You need specific info from those particular forums about where to stay.

There also may be "guest houses"/small hotels without many services but inexpensive and conducive to meeting people because they may have a common area where folks can relax in the evening or at breakfast.

You won't know what you'll find unless you go to the specific country/city forums and start asking questions.

London
Level Contributor
404 posts
116 reviews
3. Re: secure hotel rooms versus single rooms in hostels

Thank you, i think i will reach specific forums like you say and maybe hostel forums. Good ideas

Wish you well on your trips

Mark

4. Re: secure hotel rooms versus single rooms in hostels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 11:50