We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

London
Level Contributor
175 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

Hey! Hoping to make my first ever trip to the states next March, and I'm going solo.

So sick of waiting for other people, so I'm going to do it by myself.

Is it easy to get around? Any areas to avoid?

Where's best to stay? And will I feel comfortable eating in restaurants alone?

Also when I plan to go, the St Patrick day parade is on. Is this worth a watch? If not will I still be easy to shop around 5th avenue area.

Thanks

Liz :)

SYD-LON-MUC
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

Dead easy to get around.

The town planning is much better (in terms of street names) then London.

I mean if you know where you need to go (address) then you have a fair idea of how many block away you are.

Ie. if you are on E40th & 2nd and need to get to E43rd & 3rd then simple math says you're only a 3 block walk away (approx.).

The subway is easy too. If you can get around on the tube you won't have an issue at all.

Where's best to stay? tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s204/New-York-…

That depends :)

Eating alone? I've done it many times. No issues there :)

Brad

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,591 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

Lizzee, also post on the NY forum for suggestions and also look up where not to go. There will be some areas that you shouldn't be wandering around alone or with a friend.

They can also give you tips on transport, cafes and such like. How to get the best value and where to get the best views.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,717 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

Definitely post on the NYC forum for all the specific ideas you may need about where to eat and stay. They will be happy to help you and you can also read the good info they have posted in the Top Questions on the right side of the page.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

Lizziee, Good for you! New York is an excellent destination, and caters well for the solo traveller. I'd strongly recommend getting a good guide book before you book accommodation, so that you can pick the ideal area for you to stay in. March in NY can be very cold. So if you are going to the St Patricks Day Parade (great fun) wear layers!

As others here have already said, the NY forum is a great source of up to date information and advice, but I'd also suggest getting a copy of Time Out when you arrive, for bang up to date listings of entertainment and events.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

Good for you Liz

I wished I would have learned a lot earlier not to wait on others. Now I go travel everywhere by myself, I like it that way. Do what you want when you want to. And I find it easier to meet others from where I am visiting. Lots of people eat alone in NYC, I do all the time. A lot of people sit outside and eat. As far as places to eat there are thousands of choices. There are restaurants, diners, food carts all over the city. Some reasonable and some overpriced.

It is so easy to get around the city. The underground train system is another whole city by itself. Plus you have taxi cabs, bike cabs and even horse carriages.

St Patricks parade is like any other parade. Its a good see though. You may see some drunk underage drinkers. But thats it as far as crime goes. The police presence is huge. Its a nice day to get a drink though, since the bars are packed and the people friendly.

If you want to meet others that are traveling or locals you should try out couchsurfing.com, not for someone to host you but just to meet others and see if they want to do activities together. I met some really good fun people on there. There is also meetup.com. I haven't tried that one out yet.

Well if you have any other questions feel free to message me or ask me here.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

I went to NYC myself for two days. I think NYC is a place where it's easy to travel alone. Manhattan is now very safe and I don't think it's unusual for people to dine alone there - there are plenty of lone professionals living and working there. It's not a big deal. Also there is so much to see and do, it's impossible to be bored. The hop on/hop off tourist buses are great for orientation. It's also a great place just to walk around, absorbing the atmosphere. I really want to go back, but for longer!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

I live 2 hours from NY and it is super easy to get around and find you way on the subway.

Also what is nice people stay out late so you are always surrounded by people so I feel really safe there in the evening. More safe than I feel in my own city at night..

central ny
Level Contributor
101 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

I would not pick st pats as a day to shop 5th ave. crowded to carry new treasures.:) new York is a great walking city like London so just look at the subway map to figure out what you want to see and consider staying on route. base in an area that you want to walk about at night. the city never sleeps but some parts do nap. the touristy times square is still swarming with people past midnight but downtown wall street is vacant. the village is alive at night but farther from 5th ave shopping. new York can be a great place to wander but in march the wind blows fierce so think time outside in a way you might not in warmer weather. of course you can pop in a bar to warm up

9. Re: First NYC trip, and I'm going solo...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 10:47