We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

UK
4 posts
Save Topic
Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

Hi - I am planning a coach tour trip to West Coast USA and am in the midst of booking (despite being nervous of my first 'solo' trip). I checked out the hotels used by the tour and noticed that Crowne Plaza in Union City CA had some 'safety' concerned reviews with reference to 'gangs'. Now these reviews have currently become the deciding factor whether I go on this trip or not. After reading these reviews - I am gutted to think I'm going to go.....

What do you guys think?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

I would still go. The TA reviews aren't that bad, and you'll have safety in numbers. Even if the hotel is in an area that isn't the best, it doesn't mean the hotel itself is unsafe. Just don't walk around outside alone. Also, I'd suggest posting your question on the forum for this location to see what the locals think.

Another thought - if this truly is the difference between going and not going, and losing all the money you paid for the trip - book a different hotel at your own expense and just take a taxi to join the group.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,396 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

HI,

I wouldn't worry about "gangs" but I WOULD wonder why in the world this tour picked a hotel in that area instead of staying either in San Francisco or in one of the other scenic areas nearby??

It would make me wonder where in the world the other hotels on this trip are located?

It sounds like they are saving money by putting you in low cost areas.

This would not be a tour I would take if that is how they pick the hotels. IF I was on my first trip to California I'd want to be in interesting places.

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

Thanks for your reply. I think it is a hotel returning to Las Vegas after spending a night in SF the night before.

MWL.

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

Thanks J Atlanta. Luckily, I've held off paying to date - after lots of anticipation whether to going in the first place - this review certainly confirmed my "don't go" fears, I guess. But I get what you're saying - and good idea w/ idea of posting for locals to answer.

M.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,189 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

Don't fret if the rest of the tour is ok and what you want.

I stayed in a Cape Town hotel that is used by International tour groups. Lovely food, room & staff but if you sat outside drug addicts approached you for money and late one evening I saw 'ladies of the night' coming off the street to join some men sitting outside the bar and coming into the hotel! But we all survived ;-)

Also another UK tour used a hotel in Istanbul - I thought it would be a good recommendation to book solo. I posted on the TA forum and they said 'Don't!' At night it is frequednted by 'certain ladies' & men hanging around.

In each case you rely on the company or hotel to get you a reliable taxi if you want to go out. This is what I've done and get lots of info on how to get a taxi back.

It's a bit of adventure and when you return a tale to tell - as long as you don't go wandering out on the streets ;-)

Edited: 29 July 2013, 00:40
Medan
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

don't just take the review from TA (not that i am saying TA reviews are useless) but check around on the internet for more infos on this hotel. we all have a very different perspective of something. all this "bad review" that you read might turn out to be absolutely nothing for you. 2 people who experience the exact same thing might have a very different thing to say about the event

find a larger amount of data and then you will be able to form a more accurate idea. the good and the bad might even each others out or maybe its really a solid bad vibe, in anyway you will be getting a more accurate fell.

sometimes i get a really negative reviews about a certain place on TA and it turn me off but after i proceed to read the rest of the review (still in TA) it might turn out the negative review to be nothing i worry about

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

Thanks for the advice - I guess travelling alone I'm wise to be cautious and obviously safety is paramount!

Medan
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

this is a very good article about how to "read" reviews in TA

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/201…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

what ndid you do before TA and other sites like it were available.?

I wouldn't just rely on TA reviews and one or 2 poor reviews to put me off styaing somewhere.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you allow a review to 'put you off' a trip?

Bad reviews are worthwhile information that you factor into the decision-making calculus. One bad review in the midst of stellar reviews should be written off. But at some point you reach a critical mass of negative reviews and you need to reconsider.

Now, as far as a Crowne Plaza in Union City, California, goes, I agree with Riff (Post #2). What in the world is a West Coast USA tour doing putting you up in Union City, California? It's close enough to San Francisco that I don't understand leaving San Francisco and heading that short of a distance toward Las Vegas. It seems like a major inconvenience to unpack/repack for that short of a journey from San Francisco. It leads me to question what other decisions are going into this tour package.

This is more of a "yellow caution flag" rather than a "red flag," if the analogy makes sense. If I knew the whole trip, I might well decide that it was a one-night cost savings and, therefore, not worth worrying about. Or I might see there are even more questionable considerations.

Motor coach tours can be a great way to see a lot of territory in a short time for a reasonable price without you having to drive. (And, since you are in the UK, I would add "drive on the wrong side of the road"!) Distances between cities here in the American West are huge so this could be an excellent trip once you put everything in context.

As far as being nervous about your first solo trip, this sort of a trip might well be the perfect way to acclimate you to the pleasures of solo travel. My parents used to take these sort of trips and they loved them. Most of the people were older or retirees, but there was a range of ages. Many were married couples, but there were a lot of friends and solo travelers on the buses. The overall attitude of these sort of trips is very welcoming and inclusive of solo travelers since you're spending so much time together.

The motor coach tour sounds like a fantastic idea. Whether this particular tour and this particular tour operator are perfect for you, I don't have nearly enough information.