We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Resort in the Caribbean for Solo Woman Traveler?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Best Resort in the Caribbean for Solo Woman Traveler?

I'm 37 yrs old and looking for a relaxing and safe place to stay for a week. I'd prefer an all inclusive but no raging parties. I've been to Puerto Morelos and fell in love with the little fishing town. Any resorts you'd recommend in that area? I've stayed at Now Jade which was nice but want something different with the best beach. Help a sister out travelling people! Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Best Resort in the Caribbean for Solo Woman Traveler?

I really enjoyed a very relaxing week staying solo at the Sands Resort in Turks and Caicos.

It isn't an AI, but there is a reasonably good restaurant in the resort and some excellent ones close by.

The balconies are screened which allows sitting in the evening without worrying about mossies and Grace Bay is really lovely.

I rented a car from Grace Bay Car Rentals, was met with it at the airport and returned it to the airport. The car let me explore the island (Providenciales) a bit and do runs to the supermarket.

If you want a little fishing town, have a look at Placencia in Belize, but beware of resorts that are more than biking distance from the town. (unless, of course, you just want to stay in the resort.)

Hamanasi in Belize near Hopkins is an AI but with a very small village within biking distance on the bikes provided. There is lots to do there if you wanted to, but nothing is compulsory. The food is good and the setting very beautiful.

For something a bit less remote, Xanadu Resort on Ambergris Caye has a really lovely pool, and rooms with kitchens, but you would need to go out to the nearby restaurants/resorts to eat. Some are superb. Xanadu is also very good at organising various activities for you so you can be as private or as friendly as you wish.

However, there are other resorts in the area that do AI and it is a good area,

The trick with Belize is to fly into Belize City and immediately fly out on one of the two excellent small local airlines. The connection time can be as little as 1 hour.

Belize City is blighted by crime and cruise ships, but the outer areas are delightful and much safer. I never felt unsafe in any of the places I have mentioned and I send my daughter and a friend to Xanadu by themselves for her birthday, which I certainly would not have done if I had thought it to be unsafe.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 14:58
2. Re: Best Resort in the Caribbean for Solo Woman Traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 10:47