We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travelers - Where to travel?

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Solo Travelers - Where to travel?

Hi,

I'm a 49yo single male who would like to know what adult resorts you would consider the most appropriate for solo single travelers who are seeking to meet and mingle with other singles. I've been to Club Med's Turks N Caicos to the more risque resort of Caliente Carib. Neither had much appeal for a single guy my age. Are there any resorts that cater to the solo traveler?

Thank You!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Solo Travelers - Where to travel?

You may have more luck on the destination forums where there will be people who have been looking for the same things you are and may have discovered the best places to look.

Not all 49 year old single males are looking for the same thing while on holiday.(hooking up? love eternal? young women? young men? women or men near your age? constant partying? long beach walks discussing the Booker short list? )

IME, 49 year old single males differ as much as any other group of people.

If when you post you make it as clear as the TA guidelines permit what you are looking for you may have some luck.

It may also help to fill in your profile which will help people to help you.

Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Solo Travelers - Where to travel?

Club Med is normally a good place with their "adults only" clubs.

However my last stay at Club Med was 12 years ago, it might have changed, or some clubs are probably less convenient for singles. I don't know any other resorts in that style, but otherwise you could choose carefully a resort hotel with a lot of activities, not too much for families with young babies or kids, and it might be convenient to mingle with other people.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,281 posts
189 reviews
3. Re: Solo Travelers - Where to travel?

I don't think there is one single "brand" or resort that caters only to solos. I fear that such an entity would go out of business. There are some brands and resorts that are more catered to adults only, but will include a mix of solos, couples, and groups. Even so, the demographic can and will change from week to week. I always consider the plan to go to a spot with lots of people, so that some will be solo/single. Cancun, for example. I also find spots with activities I enjoy, so I'm "doing my own thing" first and foremost.

But, agree with parts of both 1 and 2 above.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
141 reviews
4. Re: Solo Travelers - Where to travel?

Jo.... you have the whole world to visit, so why stick to resorts? If your previous resort trips haven't been enjoyable, then perhaps you want more than what a resort holiday can offer you.

Resorts by nature have to cater for a mass market, and there's nothing wrong in that, but you may have reached the stage when you want something more.

I'd suggest a bit of lateral thinking...... such as .....where have you always wanted to go/see/do...and how can you get there?

Edited: 20 December 2012, 01:28
5. Re: Solo Travelers - Where to travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 10:47
Get answers to your questions