We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo sunshine holiday - January

Manchester
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Solo sunshine holiday - January

Hi Everyone,

I am recently single and want to cheer myself up by booking a sunshine break in January (which being from the UK means somewhere far away)! I was thinking Cuba or Jamaica (or Dominican).

I've been on a few organised tours before (Mexico, Brazil) and they were amazing but I don't really want a jam packed itinerary this time. I want to relax. However, whilst I'll be fine chilling on the beach on my own during the day, I don't fancy having dinner on my own every night. Can anyone recommend some good singles resorts where I can meet some fun, like minded people...?

(I'm 32).

Thanks xx

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo sunshine holiday - January

My recommendation is to visit the local boards and ask them where the best resorts for singles are located? OR do a search, for example, pull up the link below and type singles where it says "search in" and Cuba forums. Then click the magnifying glass. You can do the same for Jamaica. Or just start a new post in the local board. There is a post here on dining alone that you might want to read, as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g147270-i91-Cuba.h…

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,591 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo sunshine holiday - January

You could try looking at the websites for singles holidays for the destinations you want and see what hotels they do. You would know they were reasonable and if you wanted the company book to go at the same time as one of their groups but independently.

It is often a good way to find out what trips are available, or ones you want to avoid ;-)

Mostly people just sit by the pool on these trips, no enforced activities but nice to have someone to have a drink with in the evenings.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo sunshine holiday - January

The Club Med at Turks & Caicos gets fairly good reviews, the rooms are supposed to be a bit basic, but I think people eat together and that it is a good mix of solos, couples and groups. (I think all singles could feel a bit oppressive, but maybe that is just me)

Grace Bay on Provodenciales is one of the loveliest beaches in the world. It is also probably a bit safer than Jamaica or DR.

When I went to Grace Bay, I was looking for a bit of solitude, so I stayed solo at the Sands Resort, but Grace Bay and Provo felt very safe and comfortable for a solo female.

Cuba could be great but there is so much to see there that if you haven't been there before and really just want to fly and flop (with a bit of partying perhaps in the evening) you might want to save Cuba for when you want to do a bit more sightseeing.

However, the local forums are great places for information, although be warned that sometimes questions about safety are met on forums with a bit of defensiveness.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g147399-i213-Pro…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g147270-i91-Cuba…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g147309-i69-Jama…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g147288-i27-Domi…

Edited: 19 November 2012, 21:27
4. Re: Solo sunshine holiday - January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 20:48