We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland December....Alone!

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Iceland December....Alone!

Hi,

I am going to Iceland alone in December, between Christmas and New year. I have booked the normal trips, golden circle, blue lagoon and northern lights. But I wondered if there was anything else I should attempt to see? Also is there anything particularly Christmassy I should do? I'm a bit nervous about going alone, especially with my evenings. Any recommendations of particular restaurants or bars I should go to to meet people?

Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,200 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

The best place to look for ideas about Iceland will be the Iceland forum here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g189952-i223-Icela…

Once you land at that board, just type solo or solo bars or solo clubs into the search box, and away you go.... I always find the locals know best and the Destination Experts and community respond quickly to additional questions there.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,024 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

Samantha it sounds wonderful. I would bet your nervousness disappears once you have set out.

I would suggest that you post on the Forum for where you are staying as you will get more people who have experience of visiting the country. They will know what there is to do in the evenings, bargains, etc.

I usually take a book and my ipod with some radio progs/books on for emergencies and then there is my travel journal but very rarely have I had to use them. There always seems something to do when I get there.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
953 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

I have been to Iceland in August, so I can't say how it is during Christmas time.

In Reykjavik you will found plenty of bars that will keep you busy in the evening, you don't have to worry. It's a laid back country, and it's very safe.

As for landscape, it's probably one of the most amazing country in the world. There are some incredible places you haven't mentionned such as Landmannalaugar and Snaefellsjokull that you must visit. There probably some orgazined tours, or you might need to rent a car.

Edited: 03 October 2012, 15:15
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

Thanks so much for your replies. I feel much better about the whole thing. I definitely cant rent a car, as I cant think of anything more scary then driving in the snow!

I thought maybe about scuba diving in Silfra whilst I am there. Have any of you dont this and would it be something you would recommend?

I think I am most scared about the long hours of darkness. But I have heard that Iceland is pretty safe.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,200 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

A few links about scuba diving...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189952-i223-k4838…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g315853-d123…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189970-d162…

Cutchogue, New York
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

This is funny. I went to this site to post the same question you did. My Christmas trip to Reykjavik suddenly turned solo about 4 weeks ago. I'm staying at the hotel Borg and was wondering how to spend Christmas Day by myself. I figured I'd just go for a really long run that day. I wonder if we could combine efforts. I'll continue to research this topic and post what I find. I hope this works out for us. - Scott (New York)

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

Don't sweat a thing about being solo in Iceland.. it's a VERY nice and welcoming country overall.. and I felt safer there than in the US, quite honestly. There is tons of stuff to do in Reykjavik (I was there this past spring, also solo). If you'd like a fancy restaurant for a holiday feel, The Pearl is a gem. There is also a lovely theater right there in the city district, which might have a performance that you can catch! I hope you have a terrific time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

Hi Samantha,

I've been preparing for my trip and read that they have Christmas markets and ceremonies in town. They seem to be very Christmassy people. You should also try their famous Christmas Buffets.

DaiBoken: Iceland is the safest and most peaceful country in the world, while the USA is number 88...

Full list here: guardian.co.uk/news/…global-peace-index-2012

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

I also went to Iceland on my own in March and had such a fantastic time! Beautiful, beautiful country with nice people and lots of things to do. I felt very safe everywhere (I'm a female), even in the dark wandering through deserted streets. As others said it's a safe country in general.

I went on a couple of small group tours and met very nice people there from all over the world. This way I felt less on my own. Especially hunting the Northern Lights during the night was a great time to bond with other people over this shared and magnificent experience.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I found Iceland a great place to think and to concentrate on me again. It gave me new energy for my everyday life.

new jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Iceland December....Alone!

Hello. I went in October for 8 days appropriately 6 years ago. You MUST rent a 4 wheel car. This way you are safe be use the environment changes so drastically and you may not see a car for at lest 1 hour or so. Bring very warm clothes and pack a heavy blanket in case there is a problem with your car. If your stuck on the side of the road and a car passes they are very helpful to assist.

In October I drove from the Capital and rover the Circle halfway to a small village on the East Coast.

The only place you will find people was in the airport, Capital and Blue Lagoon.Definitely do not miss the Blue Lagoon.

Purchase the book from Lonely Planet and there are side trips that when your driving solo.

I went west-southeast.

I would recommend that you changed your plans and go around August, October and pay the extra fee for changing the airline trip.

It was very cold in October so I am sure it is SUPER COLD in in February!

Plan to go somewhere else for your birthday OR celebrate your 30th early. Good Luck. Have fun. Opps one other thing, it is very, very expensive but it is one of the best trips I have ever taken.

If you go earlier than with your 4 wheel drive car you can be more adventures and drive routes that cars can not do. You will be able to drive through the mountainside. Always keep your car 1/2 full of fuel and take extra fuel with you as well as a compass.

Please let me know how you enjoyed Iceland.