We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo travel in Africa

Adelaide, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
solo travel in Africa

Hi, I'm planning on doing a tour through East and South Africa mid next year I would prefer to do one tour that goes through Uganda or Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana and South Africa and don’t mind if it goes through Zambia or Zimbabwe. I’m 20 and travelling on my own so it needs to be one tour rather than several smaller ones which wouldn’t connect and leave me alone for any period of time. Has anyone done anything similar to this and have any suggestions of good value for money tour companies. I'm hopeful that this will be possible to do in a $6000 dollar budget?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo travel in Africa

Why do you think you need a tour?

I understand that you might feel you want the "links" assured for you, but there are agencies that will set up a trip for you.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k52662…

Your budget may be a bit low for all the places you want to go, and therefore for the length of such a trip, but your best bet is with some of the "overland" tours.

A company like G Adventures might have something to suit and within your budget.

http://www.gadventures.com/trips/africa/

I took their trip to the Galapagos some years ago and found it very satisfactory. Several of the people on that trip had been on other trips by the same company and had good reports.

Travelling overland keeps your costs down as local flights in Africa can add significantly to the cost of a trip, but of course, it does take much longer.

Edited: 28 September 2012, 14:56
Adelaide, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: solo travel in Africa

Thanks very much for your reply, I had a look at the links you attached- very helpful, thanks again. and yes i was definitely thinking of an overland trip. I have seen the G Adventure tours they seem good I just thought that there might be other tour companies which I hadn't seen so thought id ask. Thanks again :)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,189 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo travel in Africa

Chloe that is streatching it a lot for an organised tour. I assume you have posted in US dollars & includes flights which is a bout the amount for just Botswana or brief stays in Zambia, Botswana & part of SA from this country. Certainly singles tours don't do such a big itinerary.

I can't recommend companies from Australia. It may be worth asking on the Africa forums for tours.

Your best bet on that budget is to organise tours that can join up. Research from forums & reviews, guide books which local ones are recommended. It would be a great way to meet lots of people & have some degree of security..

A couple of companies that do Aftica well are Exodus & Adventure Travel. Both do land only & cover a lot of Aftica, I know Exodus used to join trips & that their tour of Botswana are particularly good. Both involve camping but well done.

You could get one organised for you by some companies but it would mean travelling by yourself.

You may find you need to break this holiday into two parts and do one now, and do it well, on the budget you have unless you really do a lot of planning to travel ecconomically by yourself.

Sounds wonderful though.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 19:02
Adelaide, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: solo travel in Africa

Hi, thanks very much. No that was my budget excluding flights. You mentioned an africa tours forum, where is that, I cant seem to find a tours forum?and thanks for recommending a few companies, thats greatly appriciated. and yes I was hoping to do it all but maybe realistically breaking it up is a good idea, thanks again. :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,464 posts
6,386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo travel in Africa

There are some overland companies that offer Africa transect tours, you have to rough it a but but it keeps your budget in check. Have a look at companies like Dragoman, Intrepid, Africa-in-focus and Kumuka. This would allow you to travel with companions, have your travel organized and try to stay within your budget.

Have a nice time planning your trip to Africa.

Melksham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo travel in Africa

Hi all, am travelling from UK to Accra,Ghana on foot. Hitch hiking /Back packing. I certainly cannot afford flights, so this is the only way I can afford to travel. I am a War Pensioner,/Service Veteran and only have my weekly pension to live on so any advice re hitching ,camping etc across North to West Africa welcome. Visiting Ghanain Embassy on Tuesday 2 October to hopefully get Visa.

Adelaide, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: solo travel in Africa

Thanks BradJill, ill have a look at those companies, thanks very much.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solo travel in Africa

There isn't an African tour group forum, but there is an African Forum where this sort of thing comes up:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ListForums-g6-i9112-Africa…

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solo travel in Africa

You might want to have a look at the Africa Forum but also, as travelling overland from the UK to Ghana might involve travelling through some areas in a bit of political turmoil (as well as requiring additional visas) it might be worth having a look at the Cruise Critic Freighter Travel forum.

…cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php… to see if taking a ship is a better way to go.

You might also want to consider other African destinations. Ghana is certainly not one of the least expensive as it is a European winter sun destination. On the other hand, I have heard it is really lovely, especially if you go upriver.

There is also a Bargain Travel Forum which, despite being full of posts from people complaining that they grabbed the cheapest option without proper research, their holiday experience and/or the customer service was not what they wanted it to be, also has some real seasoned bargain travellers who may be able to give you good advice if you post a question there.

Adelaide, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: solo travel in Africa

Thanks very much ill check them out