We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

Well, the subject gives away my predicament!

I'm a 49 y.o male based in Sydney Aust, looking for holiday ideas in Feb - March 2013.

I've travelled solo before, usually to one location (Thailand) but am looking towards Vietnam as I'm interested in trains and can see i can combine it with a Intrepid style trip thru Vietnam or lash out on a Sth Pacific cruise.

I've been looking at the TA forums about groups vs travelling solo thru Vietnam and "DIY" seems to be the mantra followed by statements like "as you will meet others along the way (?where?)"

I can see that doing it 'solo; looks like an option, but actually wouldn't mind the comradary & holiday fun that becomes a small group (and not the drunken memories of my Top Deck double deck bustrip thru Europe in the early '90's! hehe)

Another option is to do a cruise but my concerns are that it would be family or couples "hell" (no offence to hell) and i'd be 'nigel no-friend' on the cruise (hehe).

Anyway, i guess i'm hoping for some inspiration from anyone that's either done the Intrepid or solo cruising from Sydney. Any ideas or tips greatly appreciated.

cheers

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,514 posts
6,406 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

I solo travelled almost 4 weeks through Vietnam about a decade ago, it was tough travel but easy due to the high number of fellow travelers that you do join up with on-and-off, continuously throughout your journey north and/or south in Vietnam.

Might be worth chatting with some of the Destination Experts and regular contributors in the Vietnam TA forums that have the most experience and expertise on the subject. Not sure how many visit this forum so might be worth your time to also post there.

Good luck with your research and hope you enjoy your trip to Vietnam.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

I did an Intrepid trip through Vietnam and quite enjoyed it. There were just six of us on the tour, so the goup was nice and small and I didn't have to worry about the logistics of getting around. Ages ranged from late 20's to mid 40's and we all got along fine.

C P
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

Hi, I am a solo traveller finally , and must say I enjoy the freedom more than travelling with company. I found staying in hostels/homestays/caravan parks much more go my liking, as people tend to be friendlier and generally also travelling on their own, so tend seek other people's company.

I also did a cruise and had the cabin on my own (for not much more extra $) and again met a lot of people. Don't forget couples travelling together tend go miss out, as other travellers assume that they just want to be by themselves, so they are avoided.

I now happily travel solo and when I want company, I organise to meet other travellers for dinner, tours etc. it is so much fun !!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

I've done intrepid several times and love them, i travelled India and Thailand with them and would strongly recommend them

http://www.travellingbelle.com

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

thanks guys, looks like Vietnam is the winner this time, looking at the Intrepid Scenic Vietnam tour. cheers again for your feedback..

Chesterfield
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

I have toured the 'Indochina Loop' and Rajasthan with Intrepid Travel and would recommend this company. The Indochina tour included Vietnam which I personally found to be my highlight.

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

thanks for the 'thumbs up' for Intrepid, Will be booking the 15 day Scenic Vietnam departing Feb 2013.

I know the mantra on TA is "DIY, go solo, meet others,etc", but honestly i have enough logistical stress (i work in transport) with my job and want a holiday with a like-minded small group that shows my highlights and guide me thru a country I'm not familar with,

cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

Intrepid are very good from my experiences with them :)

9. Re: Solo traveller - Intrepid Vietnam or Sth Pacific Cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 10:48