We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise

I would love to do a Nile cruise would it be safe for a solo woman traveller? has anyone done one? if so who with?

the boats I have looked at had the single cabins in the worst places

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile cruise

glittergal - if you post this in one of the Egypt forums - the Luxor forum might be the most appropriate - you will be inundated with responses. The questions of safety, solo women and which Nile cruise to do crop up frequently there.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,072 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile cruise

Glittergal, I think most of the Thompson cruises which are budget have small single cabins etc. & you are with a huge group of people on the trips so hard to hear the guide.

Depends on your budget but you need a boat that has English visitors as part of the passengers to get an English speaking guide & have someone to talk to on the trip.

Solo's do a good trip but it is expensive. You can book the boat privately or through another company & you would have the same guide.

VJV do some wonderful boats with character but the SS is horrendous.

Companies like Explore, Exodus do and you have the option to share a cabin and avoid the SS. Would suggest you do as Pausi says and post on the Luxor forum too.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile cruise

Thanks for your replies and advice . I did a Thomson cruise this year and would never sail with them again. Solos cruise doesn't fit in with my holiday time off nor any of the other solo holiday companies. I looked at Archers direct they had a great offer but a review of noisy vibrating cabins put me off :(

I will try the Luxor Forum thanks again

Cairo, Egypt
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile cruise

Hi Glittergal. I am Tamer Erian from Nile Exploration cruises. We own and operate Nile cruise ships, notably the Movenpick cruisers.

Firstly, any Nile cruise is safe for a solo traveler, by the fact that everything is secure and that you shall always be part of a group. Either a group formed by the Tour Operator you booked with or by a grouping of travelers who booked individually. All visits and excursions are done in groups. It's actually quite fun as you meet and engage with many people from all over.

Also, most ships on the Nile do not have single rooms, but accommodate solos in a double room for which you pay 60% of the double price.

Our ships always have English speaking guests as well as staff and tour guides.

I hope you do decide to go on a cruise.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
518 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nile cruise

There are Nile cruises in Uganda too so if you find it difficult then try Uganda .

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nile cruise

Thanks everyone and Tamer I will have a look at your cruises .

Leeds, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nile cruise

I traveled on the River Nile in Aug 2012 but with 2 friends there was 25 of us on the boat and about 15 traveled on their own mostly girls and it was fab do it and dont think of nothing bad it was brilliant a great experience.

8. Re: Nile cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 06:47